Trying to install picco .26

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage2k

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got my picco .26 and new era mount kit

I began mounting it, and it seemed to go pretty smooth.
I got to the point of fitting the throttle linkage, and it seems to shut fully pretty good but when I hit the throttle it only opens up about half way and If i assist it with my finger I can make it open fully.
Do you think its possible that my throttle servo isnt strong enough? Its a futaba s3003

I found that I had to do away with the stock type linkage and had to put springs and collars on the wire near the servo horn. I also made a heavier gauge wire than what new era included. Even then, it just barely opens all the way. I do run a soft TRS that holds the carb at idle. Without it, the slop in the linkage wouldn't let it engine idle down properly.

This is with new era's leaner mount:
2010-0618-RevoNERollBarBBThrottleLinkage.jpg

Ok so I charged my receiver to full and it seems to open a tad more, but its only opening 75% max instead of 100%.

Why does your mount look different? I have the new era one also.

Here is a vid of the throttle setup.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXwl8HDkR4A"]YouTube - Revo throttle linkage[/ame]

try rotating the carb a touch thats what i had to do to get mine to open all the way. his mount looks different because it is called a leaner mount,which puts more of a tilt on the motor.

try rotating the carb a touch thats what i had to do to get mine to open all the way. his mount looks different because it is called a leaner mount,which puts more of a tilt on the motor.

+1 Just move the carb around some untill you get it to open. You will also have to adjust the the arm on the end of the carb too. Just keep working with it and you will get it.

I got it to the point where it can open fully, but as soon as i put the throttle return spring on the servo is unable to even open it anymore. I wonder if i should get a weaker spring or a stronger servo

Ok I went to hardware store and the only spring that would fit was only slightly weaker. The servo can open the throttle about half way to 75% now. Either I gotta find another weaker spring or new servo

Funny thing is stock throttle servo is rated something like 80oz torque and the one i had on was rated at 50ish. I went and bought a hitec hs-645mg and now it opens fully with no issue. Almost ready to fire it up, but its raining outside and wet all over!

Also does anybody know the factory needle settings for the JL red dot? I accidently moved the settings.

Hey quick question for u guys is the new era motor mount sloted so u can set ur gear mesh I got the onfa one sucks ass had to put washers under the motor to get mesh right

Yes, its slotted

Ok I'm in the process of breaking it in. so far I have done 5 different 3 minute runs with varied low to mid throttle positions. I let it fully cool down between runs with piston at BDC.
Running temps were 200 to 220 at glow plug

On the 6th run I tried to go full throttle and it bogged big time and died. So i leaned HSN slightly and tried again, same thing. Leaned it a tad again and it continued to bog down and die when I go full throttle. I leaned it a tiny bit (1 hour) one more time and took the temp, it was running at 250-260 so I tried full throttle one more time and it bogged and died again. It seems very rich, theres a ton of smoke when I go full throttle. So as I lean it out, its getting warmer, but it still bogs down on full throttle.

Should I lean the HSN some more and then richen the LSN?

Is the LSN just for idle or is it for idle through mid range and the HSN is only for full throttle?

Well i ended up leaning HSN and slightly richening LSN, its still very rich on top end (alot of smoke and engine bogs and breaks up) but I am slowly still breaking it in and every time I restart it I slightly lean HSN until this thing is broken in then we'll see what it does. Temps are around 200-220 again

i just got done working on my revo on mine the rod on the carb was hitting the throttle linkage took me a bit to find where it was binding but all it took to fix was a slight bend in the linkage
glad i read ur post it got me thinking about why i didn't have the power i thought i should and that was the reason lol

The 645 is a good servo, but now your spring won't push it back if your rx loses power.

Well i ended up leaning HSN and slightly richening LSN, its still very rich on top end (alot of smoke and engine bogs and breaks up) but I am slowly still breaking it in and every time I restart it I slightly lean HSN until this thing is broken in then we'll see what it does. Temps are around 200-220 again

Dont get discouraged with it. It took a about a gallon and changing the bearings out and sealing the motor before mine started running great. The "break in" on these motors is really about a gallon or so from all I read. Mine runs like a beast around 235-250.

a 1 gallon breakin will take forever lol

By 1 gallon breakin, do you mean to continue the heatcycle process until I go through a gallon of fuel? Or after 25 mins of total breakin time I can lean it out and start really getting on it?

mine i did the 25 min and been taking alitte easy on it but tuned it alittle better but is still rish but i already have tons o power. what made a big difference was a big block pipe and header. lol i just realized I've put over half a gallon through it already in 5 days.

a 1 gallon breakin will take forever lol

By 1 gallon breakin, do you mean to continue the heatcycle process until I go through a gallon of fuel? Or after 25 mins of total breakin time I can lean it out and start really getting on it?

No, you dont have to keep doing the heatcycle but these motors seem to act weird until you get a gallon thru them. I had to go back to factory settings a couple times from day to day. I am almost to a gallon and like I said I swapped the bearings for boca ceramics, sealed the motor and I just put a side pipe on it and it runs great now. Stays in temp all day long.

Back