Trying to get a friend into the hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laton7

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So one of my friends saw my MERV, sandmaster (Which i have now sold) and tamiya TT-01 in action and has said that he is interested basically. Iv have let him bash with them all he wants and he has decide that he wants an electric 1/10 road car. The only thing is he the tightest person with money u will ever find. so i need advice on a really cheap electric sedan, it doesn't have to be great quality because he will be treating it very well and hardly ever crash it unlike me. It is in my best intentions to get him bashing as then i will have someone to share the great hobby with and he may decide it is worth splashing out on a decent car after he has had a taster of the sport for himself.
Thank you for your help!

Find him a good deal on a used car. You won't find a "really cheap electric sedan" unless it's an off-brand that is hard to find parts for.

yea thats what I'm worried about as i dont want him getting put off my a crappy car. I think tamiya as they seem fairly cheap but parts are easy to get?

yea thats what I'm worried about as i dont want him getting put off my a crappy car. I think tamiya as they seem fairly cheap but parts are easy to get?

Tamiya is a good name, HPI, Traxxas, Losi are all good names.

---------- Post added at 2:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:47 PM ----------

See what you local hobby shop carries, if they even carry on-road.

our local hobby shop just down a few weeks ago and the next closest (about 20 miles roughly 30km?) only has aircraft and boats really with a few nitro trucks and they aren't big brand. i think its jus what its like over here in the uk if I'm honest

our local hobby shop just down a few weeks ago and the next closest (about 20 miles roughly 30km?) only has aircraft and boats really with a few nitro trucks and they aren't big brand. i think its jus what its like over here in the uk if I'm honest

Oh, from the UK. Find a webstore that handles the UK, or is based in the UK. You may have a hard time getting parts for some cars without paying out the rear for shipping.

Yep that's what iv been finding when trying to get parts for my current rigs :(. Most parts cost loads and take an age to get here. I mostly order from the US when buying new parts as the market over there is a lot better than we have here

Yep that's what iv been finding when trying to get parts for my current rigs :(. Most parts cost loads and take an age to get here. I mostly order from the US when buying new parts as the market over there is a lot better than we have here

That bites....

Ok thanks, yes that does look nice! i have a tt01 and it is currently the only rig i have up and running, due to my driving i suspect ;). Thank you for all your addvice, i think we will be looking for a TT-01 for my buddy as i have one, they seem cheap to buy and the parts are as easy as pie to get even over here.
thanks again for all input

Associated also makes good on road cars as well.

Ok, I'll look into it, any specific models? what is the difference between team associated and plain old associated?

Back