Trying to find a good head strap to mount phone on - for recording races

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Trying to make more race day videos / vlogs. I don't got any fancy GoPro or anything. I just got my phone as a camera (Google Pixel 3) (Dads is a Samsung S10 Plus)

I also want to do more first person POV kind of stuff instead of a marshal or dad recording, and doing their job at the same time.

Been looking at head straps, and chest straps to mount your phone with. I seen some people use a basic mount with a clip, and it goes on your hat, but I don't like that as you need to look through the phone camera, not in real time because, racing. the head straps would be better so we can see and "follow" the car?

Also, I do want to do more vlogs, just have to get used to the camera and talking to my self. Lol.

I used to mount a gopro on a baseball hat by poking a hole through the visor. For a phone you need a clamp like the one below, they have a 1/4" thread on them. The problem is you're never gonna be quite sure where it's pointing. With a gopro you can check the shot on your phone.

11332_manfrotto-smart-phone-clamp_1.jpg

Trying to make more race day videos / vlogs. I don't got any fancy GoPro or anything. I just got my phone as a camera (Google Pixel 3) (Dads is a Samsung S10 Plus)

I also want to do more first person POV kind of stuff instead of a marshal or dad recording, and doing their job at the same time.

Been looking at head straps, and chest straps to mount your phone with. I seen some people use a basic mount with a clip, and it goes on your hat, but I don't like that as you need to look through the phone camera, not in real time because, racing. the head straps would be better so we can see and "follow" the car?

Also, I do want to do more vlogs, just have to get used to the camera and talking to my self. Lol.
You dont actually need to spend the money for a GoPro. There are a ton of cheap action cameras available. This is the one i have used for more than 2 years: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosstou...qEioGAwhlQvs53gvId5TebCN4-dXpFaAaAkmMEALw_wcB

If that one is too much, shop around, and you can find them as cheap as $20, like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clearanc...Z5PqMtrCebBKz1YUoasaArekEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or, $25 for this one: https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-C...v6HoWtas1FZnj-AarXlubn6T_djVere0aApYqEALw_wcB

The reason i would use one of them before i would a phone is because not only do they make a ton of different mounts for them, including an actual headband and helmet mount, or even a handlebar mount extremely cheap (any GoPro mount or accessory will work with them, and, you can get bundles at places like Amazon that include several different ways to mount them, for as little as $20 with a carrying case: https://www.amazon.com/Action-Accessories-Accessory-Compatible-Campark/dp/B08MZMXGP1/ref=sr_1_101?crid=3GIJ1BAMZS29G&keywords=gopro+accessory+bundle&qid=1688285889&sprefix=gopro+accessory+bundle,aps,107&sr=8-101 ), but, they have quite a few advantages your phone wont have, like image stability, unbreakable waterproof cases (usually included with the camera), longer battery life when recording than most phones, they record pretty well (some though, even with EIS, can still be shakier than a GoPro, it just depends on the model), if you lose one, you are out a very small amount versus losing your phone, plus, if you lose the camera, you will lose whatever footage is on it, but, if you lose your phone, or destroy it, then you lose all the personal stuff you have stored on it.

This is just an example of the footage i captured of one of my RC cars using a headband mount, and the first camera i linked (No, it isnt GoPro 4K quality, but, i was also recording at 720P to make the battery last longer because of how much footage i shot that day):

This video was recorded from a tripod mount, after recovering the cameras after my house burned last year, using the same camera (in 1080P):

However, if you are absolutely determined to use your phone, why not a dedicated chest mount: https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Harne...cphy=9005776&hvtargid=pla-1664806550823&psc=1

Last edited:
Man, get a GoPro. Get a Hero9 used or something; don’t get the Hero10 (it overheats), and you’d probably enjoy the horizon leveling on the Hero9.

Man, get a GoPro. Get a Hero9 used or something; don’t get the Hero10 (it overheats), and you’d probably enjoy the horizon leveling on the Hero9.
Does it look like I got 250 bucks? Man, I can't even afford my track fees for racing the other night. 😅😥 (20 bucks base price, extra 10 for the extra class. It's expensive as the place is new, and they need it for the lease, and other things)
Oh yea, I'm trying to use my phone, but will probably get a smaller and cheaper camera. Like @biggman100 said. I also want to use the same camera to put on the cars to get some on board footage.
Also, maybe this camera can triple as a webcam. A while ago I was thinking about doing live rc wrench sessions on FB or YouTube. (Or even maybe Live track days instead of just making a video)

Last edited:
I also want to use the same camera to put on the cars to get some on board footage.
Also, maybe this camera can triple as a webcam. A while ago I was thinking about doing live rc wrench sessions on FB or YouTube. (Or even maybe Live track days instead of just making a video)
The one i have doesn't work as a webcam, but, the newer ones might. I have a couple of the newer 4K ones, but i have never tried to do that with them. I used to use this webcam for zoom stuff, when school was online: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-C27...ocphy=9005776&hvtargid=pla-318320058426&psc=1

As for mounting it on the cars, for that you would need to find one that has very good EIS. With the ones i have (2 1080P and 2 4K), mounting them on the car just results in a very shaky, make you sick to your stomach type video, which is why i use either a headband mount, wrist mount, or the tripod. My 2 4K ones say they can connect through wi-fi, but, i never bothered to see what all you could do with it hooked up that way. It might just be an easy way to upload the videos to a PC, or, it might mean it can double as a security camera, or a webcam.

A modern phone will record in much better quality than a cheap action camera. Even higher quality than most gopros I bet.

A modern phone will record in much better quality than a cheap action camera. Even higher quality than most gopros I bet.
Ehh. My phone is from 2019 so its kinda current. Not the best camera. Getting up there in age. My dads S10 is refurbished and has been owned for a year and camera is decent on it. Better than mine. And also, I aint getting a gopro. Way to expensive, and I heard lots of them have overheating problems or something.

Got a phone head strap from Amazon for 10 bucks the other day. Have to take my phone case off inorder for it too fit. Currently does a good job. My only con is that the video is a bit off but it will work.

Back