TRX engines, reliability question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroHawk

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've been offered a new Nitro Rustler in part exchange for another RC and I'm trying to decide on what to do. I do like the truck a lot but recently i've seen lots of 3.3R engines blowing up rear bearings and con rods at the track.

Does the 2.5R suffer from the same issues? what kind of engine life can I expect from it running on the track.

Any advise on breaking it in, tuning, etc is appreciated, I was thinking of doing the heat cycle method.

Unfortunately there is no engine exchange program here and engines are twice as expensive than in the US so engine life is a deal breaker for me right now.

I owned 3 different 2.5 engines and they were all still working when I sold them. can't speak for everyone but I have no complaints with the 2.5's

My two 3.3's I have owned one of which came out working to put a lrp28 in. The 3.3 goes pretty well if you look after them properly.

The 2.5R doesn't suffer the same occasional fate as the 3.3 as far as splitting the rods. I run the 2.5R on my revo and it is a very dependable engine with around 3 gallons through it so far. Easy to tune and fires up very easy every time. The 3.3 has twice the power and compression and uses the exact same rod as the 2.5. Hints the reason for its splitting rods when ran too lean and too hard. Although some people have better luck with them than others. I've heard some guys say they got 12 gallons out of a 3.3 and never broke a rod. So in all any engines life is gonna be depending on your tuning ability and proper breakin. Traxxas requires a 5 tank on ground breakin procedure which is found best for any engine. Make sure you follow this procedure exact for the best engine life possible. It is in the manual and on the traxxas site if you dont get a manual.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I'll take the plunge, run it in this weekend and see how it goes from there.

This will be my first ez start equipped nitro, any pointers on that for break in? I was thinking on pre heating the engine and giving it short bursts after priming it.

I've only owned 1 2.5 and bought it used and blown. Did a rebuild and it blew up again shortly afterwards. I'd have to stay undecided cause mine was used and its hard to know how beaten it was by the old owner.

Yes preheat the engine everytime until breakin is complete. I still preheat mine before hand anyways. It helps it to prime and start faster. As stated in my other post follow traxxas breakin procedures exact and you will benefit later from doing so.

i got over 8 gallons through my 3.3, then break in on those only took 1/4 at the most. I'm still 1/2 gallon into my lrp28 and its still tight as hell.

Back