TRX 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndroidGamingGuy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been asked and answered a thousand times but I'm gonna ask again lol. I took the shaft on a what was said to be a nitro rustler when I bought it. Didn't have a body so I was just going off what the guy said it was. Turned out to be a Nitro Slash. Well it has the TRX 3.3 on it. Tried a couple days to get it going with no luck. Noticed a gas leak finally, after inspection found a whole in the bottom of the block/crankcase. So I tore into it, conrod had a chip out of the bottom, piston head has a chunk missing from the bottom. Yeah he got over on me, but I'm a tinkering kinda guy so here's where it gets interesting. I took a small piece of thin but rigid plastic and cut it to the size of the track where the conrod rides. Stuck it in and shoved paper towels in to keep it pressed tight against the inside of the block. Mixed up some JB Weld and filled the hole in the block from the outside. Worked like a charm! Let it dry and peeled the plastic out from the conrod track inside the block, nice flesh seat, perfect form no rub from the conrod. Slapped it all back together, broken conrod and piston head and all! Put a little nitro to her and away she ran! Sounded decent to, until.... She stopped and wouldn't turn over again lol. Turns out bearings was shot, spun loose and broke the starter shaft. I had a old .18 laying around, used the starter shaft and bearings out of it. Perfect fit and had it running but realized I had the owb in backwards, newbie mistake lol. It took burning the ez start motor up trying to start it on another day before I realized I had the owb backwards, oh well lol. Gonna get a new ez start motor and get it back together. Seeing as it's just a junk motor anyhow I'm gonna run it till it self destructs lol. Back to my question tho... Some of the parts for the 3.3 are a little pricey. 70 bucks for piston and sleeve, 30 bucks for conrod, 20-30+ bucks for just decent bearings! I could just buy a good motor and throw on it for a basher lol. Besides playing the waiting game and looking for decent used 3.3 parts on eBay. Are there any cheaper options that will interchange with the 3.3? Conrod, bearings and piston and sleeve options wise? I think I'm gonna just get a new 3.3 block off eBay perhaps with bearings installed roughly 45 bucks. Would like to use the crankshaft I have it seems decent. Perhaps even use the piston sleeve in it still has plenty of pinch. Just wondering if there's any budget friendly options out there. Or should I just get some ceramic bearings, a carb, pull starter and owb for the old .18 I have and just rebuild it and throw it on there? The conrod sleeve and piston in it seem to be in wonderful shape as well as the crankshaft and starter shaft. Trying to keep this one budget friendly as I'm already in it over 150 and still haven't got it rtr. I may just convert it into a Drag Slash no prep street car. But for now I just wanna get it going. Any help as to budget friendly replacement parts for the 3.3 would be much appreciated.

It's best to find a New short block and put a carb and ez start on than mess with used parts. Costs around $100-125 for a whole new block engine . I have refurbished 3.3 engine's that have had a giant hole's on the bottom. I used a small thin sheet of aluminum to cover the whole's and JB welded it on. Most of the parts from the 2.5 engine's will work. Crank, bearings, rod piston pin and clips. Other option is a good used 3.3 engine but Most people beat them and sell them. it's pure luck to find good used engines cheap. A 2.5R engine short block costs around $65 and a carb is less than $20. Used engines sell for $50 -75. I would rather spend a little more and get new parts.

It's best to find a New short block and put a carb and ez start on than mess with used parts. Costs around $100-125 for a whole new block engine . I have refurbished 3.3 engine's that have had a giant hole's on the bottom. I used a small thin sheet of aluminum to cover the whole's and JB welded it on. Most of the parts from the 2.5 engine's will work. Crank, bearings, rod piston pin and clips. Other option is a good used 3.3 engine but Most people beat them and sell them. it's pure luck to find good used engines cheap. A 2.5R engine short block costs around $65 and a carb is less than $20. Used engines sell for $50 -75. I would rather spend a little more and get new parts.
Ride on, I think I'm just gonna look for a new engine for it after I grenade the 3.3 lol. All I need to get it going again is the ez start motor, 15 bucks. Even with all the shotty parts in it, it runs decent when it's running lol. Probably just pick up a cheap China .15 .18 or .21 and chuck in it. I have a beast of a Traxxas Nitro Slash with a great running 3.3 in it. Just trying to get this other one going so my wife or a buddy could run with me. And where you finding carbs for the TRX for 20 bucks?!? Close to 50 is more like it lol.

Ebay. I just bought some for $16 each shipped . The ez start you can pickup cheap there too. Used carbs were the same price. A cheap china .18 sell for $70. The .15 is to small. I have some .15 in t maxx and they are slow. The 2.5R is ok but the 3.3 are expensive now $125 just for the block engine no carb and ez start. But it's still cheaper than a complete new engine.

For Traxxas 3.3 & 2.5 Engine Carburetor For T-maxx Revo Jato Rustler Slayer US | eBay
NEW TRAXXAS T-MAXX 2.5 4910 COMPLETE ENGINE MOTOR RUSTLER REVO 4-TEC STAMPEDE | eBay
Nitro Revo 3.3 ENGINE (MOTOR, fits T-maxx Jato 4-tec Slash trx 5309 Traxxas 684758048455 | eBay

Last edited:
Been thinking about my next steps as well. Got my TRX 2.5 going on the T-Maxx but it has seen better days. Thinking about going either the step up route for the TRX 3.3 for $110 or treating myself to the O.S. .21 (keep reading good things about this motor). New RC shop in my area sells the TRX 3.3 motors for $169.00 new. The math does not add up to buy a new piston and sleeve for $70, a new connecting rod for $30, and engine bearings $20-$30 plus tax. Personally I am reluctant to buy any used motor because I assume it is more trouble than it is worth.

Did order some parts to rebuild my original carburetor as well as some fresh air filter inserts. Will see if this makes a difference. Would love to drive my current motor until it completely wears out and has no more compression. Already took the motor apart completely to give it a good cleaning and lookover. Once it did fire up, was able to burn through a tank of nitro - what a blast! Missed this a lot.

Totally with you on wanting to save a few bucks and play the budget angle. Going down this road first before pulling the trigger on a replacement motor. Would love to hear about what route you end up taking.

A new 3.3 engine on Ebay sells for $125+ sh
A Os .21 more.
I mainly have 2.5R which can be bought for $65 new .New carbs less than $20