TRX .15 Engine Won't Start HELP!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booins

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have an old Traxxas .15 engine that has been fully cleaned and rebuilt. I am having problems starting it up. I have a brand new owb and pullstart on it but it is hard to turn over. My hand hurts from tugging on the pull cord. I have successfully gotten it to startup for a second or two but then it just dies. I know its not flooded or that any parts have been assembled incorrectly. The carb is set to factory and the engine is coated with after run oil. I am just assuming there is a connection between the engine being hard to turn over and it not starting. The compression is weak so I am stumped why it is so hard to turn. Any help would be appreciated!

Picture of compression:
2de817f3c8602d272e5cb87f0e7a8c88.jpg

Well if it's been "rebuilt" it shouldn't have "weak" compression. Try heating the head with a hairdryer before you try to crank it.
Are you sure your glow plug is good as well as your igniter?

Well if it's been "rebuilt" it shouldn't have "weak" compression. Try heating the head with a hairdryer before you try to crank it.
Are you sure your glow plug is good as well as your igniter?

By rebuilt I mean reassembled. The compression is weak because the piston/sleeve is worn. And yes I've seen the glow plug glow! But I need to fully charge the igniter for next time when I try the hairdryer. Do you think I would get better results with a heat gun? Seems like a cool (or hot ;)) trick though.

Edit: I have also noticed that it gets harder to turn when the igniter is on the plug.

Last edited: