Truggy Mod

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrent15

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hello, new to the site. I bought a RedCat Shredder and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Prior to getting my hands on it, I would like to know what mods I can do. I did order Proline Badlands 3.8, metal spur gear, 300,000 diff oil. In the future I would like to get it upgraded to 6s and would like to know what motor and ESC is recommened. Any information on the basic must have mods it much appreciated.

Well, my Shredder finally came in the mail. I gone ahead and replaced the plastic spur gear with a metal one, loaded the center diff with 300k oil and I also installed the proline badlands 3.8 wheels. Next mod is ordering a T Bone Racing Basher bumper and wheelie bar.

I do have one question, I have two 5200mAh 2s lipos can I run two 3s lipos on the 1300 kva motor.

Sure you can. The KV has nothing to do with the amount of voltage that you can apply to the motor.

Thanks. My future plan is to upgrade to 6s. Probably a hobbywing ezrun motor and matching esc. But for now, I will order some 3s lipos as backup when I run out of juice from bashing hard on 2s.

I finally got my TBR Wheelie Bar and Basher Bumper. Looks pretty good. I also plasti dipped my body and remove some decals. My only issue with TBR was lack of install instruction. The wheelie bar was straight forward no issues, but the bumper had me stumped. Ended up with a couple extra screws and overall I made it work. I had some ABS plastic laying around so I made me a dust shield for the front lower control arm. I am also going to get some shock covers, which I will use party balloons. I will post pictures when completed.

So a list of mods I have done so far.

Metal Spur Gear
300K Center Diff Oil
Proline Badlands 3.8 Wheels
TBR Wheelie Bar and Basher Bumper
Lower control arm dust shield
Removed decals and Plasti Dip

Next:
Chassis Dust Cover from Dusty Motors
Shock Dust Cover (made from balloons)

Attachments

• Bumper 1.jpg
    Bumper 1.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Bumper 2.jpg
    Bumper 2.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Wheelie 2.jpg
    Wheelie 2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Wheelie 3.jpg
    Wheelie 3.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Wheelie 4.jpg
    Wheelie 4.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 114
Resist the urge to 6s it. You will be asking for problems. I put a Leopard motor and 6s Arrma ESC in shredder and it lasts for about 30 min. Center diff went bye bye. I guess if you easy on the throttle it will last but if you like wheelies it won't.
20180930_150107.jpg

Quick update. Decided to make my own mud guards from abs plastic. Still waiting on my chassis dust cover. Also tomorrow I will be covering the shocks. See photos.
P_20200419_011250_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg
P_20200419_011309_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg
P_20200419_011320_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg
P_20200419_011327_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg
P_20200419_011503_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg
P_20200419_011456_vHDR_Auto_HP.jpg

Wow, those covers turned out great! Nice craftsmanship.

What size balloons are you using?

Well I initially was going to use the balloon animal making balloons but those were not big enough to fit around springs. I believe the size is 160 which is 1 inch diameter and 60 inch length. So I ended up ordering a bag of 360s, 3 inch diameter and 60 inch length. When they get here I will get them on the shock and post pictures.

Ok, that would definitely be appreciated because I couldn’t find any info on the which balloon size to use anywhere. Looking forward to seeing how they fit!

Okay so I tried the 360Q twisting balloon (balloon animals) and it did not fit my shocks. I should of known, shocks for 1/6 scale would be a really tight fit. So after going through 6 balloons, I ended up going online and buying larger balloons. I order Qualatex 646Q multicolor, bag of 50. These were perfect and it only took a few minutes to get them on the springs. I cut the top off about an inch, stretched the opening with my fingers and jammed the spring inside. After it went it with the balloon stretched, I blew into it and the spring drop in. Quick note, dont let the spring all the way to the bottom of the balloon. Let it fit on the top half of the balloon and then cut about an inch from the spring. One balloon can be used for two springs. So with the remaining half repeat the same steps. I also ordered a Traxxas Xmaxx Roof Rail and installed it, looks pretty good. Only thing left now is the chassis dust cover and I will be ready to hit the dirt.
Balloon.jpg
Shock 1.jpg
Shock 2.jpg
Shock 3.jpg
Shock and Balloon 1.jpg
Shock and Balloon.jpg
Roof Rail 1.jpg
Roof Rail 2.jpg
Roof Rail.jpg

I finally got my TBR Wheelie Bar and Basher Bumper. Looks pretty good. I also plasti dipped my body and remove some decals. My only issue with TBR was lack of install instruction. The wheelie bar was straight forward no issues, but the bumper had me stumped. Ended up with a couple extra screws and overall I made it work. I had some ABS plastic laying around so I made me a dust shield for the front lower control arm. I am also going to get some shock covers, which I will use party balloons. I will post pictures when completed.

Metal Spur Gear
300K Center Diff Oil

Next:
Were did you get your metal spur gear from. I can’t find any online. HELP.

Metal Spur Gear
300K Center Diff Oil

Next:
where did you find the spur gear? I can't find it in stock anywhere...