Traxxas stampede vxl over heating issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm654b

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a traxxas stamped vxl 2? wheel drive with the velineon 3500 motor and the vxl-3s esc. I am running a 5000 3 cell lipo battery pack. My stock gears are a 90 tooth spur gear and a 19 tooth pinion gear. I was running a 30 tooth pinion gear with a 86 tooth spur gear and I ended up burning up a motor. I just got a new motor over the weekend and the guy at my hobby store told me to go back to the stock gearing to cool it off.*
He also tells me my motor should stay under 140 degrees is this true?
The manual says to not get over 200 my motor is currently running about 180 to 185 degrees what tempt should my motor be at I am still experiencing over heating issue also my slipper clutch is melting together I have it set right and it still does it. Do I just have too high of a battery for the motor or is my gearing not right?
Any comments you guys have would help me greatly thanks.*

That gearing is way too high, and is definitely not stock. 23/86 is stock, and your combo of 30/86 is not even listed, it's beyond the red zone. I've run the stock gearing on mine for years with zero issues, motor temps should realistically be 160 or below.

Make sure to check your temps pretty often. That's one way to help prevent burning up a motor.

So two experienced rc drivers know more than a guru? Whodathunkit?

So what gearing should I be running to make sure my motor does not over heat

The stock 23/86 should not give you a problem. But you should still check your temps.

The way i see it, it doesn't work. The motor should have a direct mounting position, if you install it at 180,185 or at 200 degrees you wont be able to mount the motor correctly. Right?

The way i see it, it doesn't work. The motor should have a direct mounting position, if you install it at 180,185 or at 200 degrees you wont be able to mount the motor correctly. Right?

um.......... que?

A few problems I see here

I just got back into RC again after many years if being out. This is my first post if advice. However I feel that my situation is very close to yours and I feel I have a good understanding to what you've done. I just got the Rustler VXL and yours and mine are quite similar, I know there are slight differences.

First yes the Velineon system boasts of 3S LiPo however from countless hobby store employees I've heard that using 3S really pushes its limits in my opinion too far.
2) Your using a high 5000 mAh battery so your stressing your system out for an extended period of time. This compounds the already bad problem.

3) Your gearing is way over the top so with all 3 problems you have basically set out to destroy your ESC and or motor. I say you were quite successful.

I also have pushed mine but I was much more cautious than you and this last weekend I killed my ESC. So I know first hand Velineon + 3S = stress.

If you really want to push stuff this far get a much stronger ESC like the monster mamba and keep that gearing down.

I hope this was clear and helpful :)

Last edited:
1.) The Velineon system boasts of 3S LiPo however from countless hobby store employees I've heard that using 3S really pushes its limits in my opinion too far.
2) Your using a high 5000 mAh battery so your stressing your system out for an extended period of time. This compounds the already bad problem.

3) Your gearing is way over the top so with all 3 problems you have basically set out to destroy your ESC and or motor. I say you were quite successful.

I also have pushed mine but I was much more cautious than you and this last weekend I killed my ESC. So I know first hand Velineon + 3S = stress.

If you really want to push stuff this far get a much stronger ESC like the monster mamba and keep that gearing down.

I hope this was clear and helpful :)

1.) Not true; I've only run 3s on my Pede VXL from day one, zero issues. The ESC is only going to hand out what the motor requests, plain and simple.

2.) Also not true; The maH of a pack has nothing to do with stressing the electrical system in an RC, it's simply the capacity (think gas tank) of the pack, and relates to run time. The discharge rate however x the maH = the amount of power on hand for use, but again, you can have 5,000 amps available and the ESC will only hand out what the motor asks for.

3.) This much is true, if you way overgear a motor requiring it to suck huge amounts of amps to get going, you WILL fry electronics, every time.

I run 3s 4000mah packs varying from 20c to 50c discharge rate and have never had one issue. I do however use recommended gear ratios from the chart in the user manual, and monitor my temps, especially during warmer weather.

1.)
2.) Also not true; The maH of a pack has nothing to do with stressing the electrical system in an RC, it's simply the capacity (think gas tank) of the pack, and relates to run time. The discharge rate however x the maH = the amount of power on hand for use, but again, you can have 5,000 amps available and the ESC will only hand out what the motor asks for.

I think he is saying that the longer runtime makes the stress on the motor last longer.

So what gearing should I be running to be safe

1.) Not true; I've only run 3s on my Pede VXL from day one, zero issues. The ESC is only going to hand out what the motor requests, plain and simple.

3.) This much is true, if you way overgear a motor requiring it to suck huge amounts of amps to get going, you WILL fry electronics, every time.

I run 3s 4000mah packs varying from 20c to 50c discharge rate and have never had one issue. I do however use recommended gear ratios from the chart in the user manual, and monitor my temps, especially during warmer weather.

I think by my articulation you could tell I understand mAh pretty well in 2). Given that IF 3S's are pushing the VXL-3 to its limits then running it for a longer period of time is just adding more stress to the issue for a longer period of time, thank you alpinehyperlite for pointing that out.

You just simply do not believe that the VXL-3 ESC has any issues with with 3S LiPo's at all and me and many other hobby store employee's do think its pushing it. Its really that simple.

I think you could have just said you disagree that 3S Lipos are hard on a VXL-3. I however think my post was leading him the right direction quite well. Many believe that you should upgrade your ESC if you really want to rip fast like hes wanting to with that much voltage. I've read a lot of posts of people going to the Mamba Max Pro ESC but keeping the brushless motor the VXL -pede comes with. This works out a lot better for many

I only clarify because I really think if this guy is going to want to rock this fast he may need to upgrade his ESC. I am sort of surprised he needs to go this fast to begin with lol. The 2S lipos make it run quite quick and with the gearing ratio he had and the 3S LiPo it must have been blazing. I think he wants blazing :p

I'm running the mamba max with Velenion motor (2 castle motors caught n fire. It was spectacular each time) in my bl 2wd pede. I've probably got 150 3s 5400mah packs through it with no drive train issues and only replaced me spur.

I think by my articulation you could tell I understand mAh pretty well in 2). Given that IF 3S's are pushing the VXL-3 to its limits then running it for a longer period of time is just adding more stress to the issue for a longer period of time, thank you alpinehyperlite for pointing that out.

You just simply do not believe that the VXL-3 ESC has any issues with with 3S LiPo's at all and me and many other hobby store employee's do think its pushing it. Its really that simple.

I can very articulately tell you that I own the worlds only VXL 3s system capable of running on 6s, but that doesn't make it so.

And no, it's not that simple at all, not even close. When ran within the recommended parameters that are listed in the owners manual (which most don't bother to even take out of the plastic wrap), the VXL 3s system will handle running 3s packs just fine. Myself and many others here have been doing it for a long time with zero issues. One also has to factor in a bit of common sense as well, when running on high drag surfaces (i.e. tall grass, mud, sand, etc) then there will be more load placed on the motor and ESC, and you will need to gear down and keep an eye on temps and tune for the conditions you run in, no different than anything else.

So, there are way too many factors (gearing, type of surface you're running on, stock size tires or oversize?, stock weight?, etc) involved to simply say that the system has issues running on 3s power when most likely it's user error as in this case. It's always easy to point fingers at the equipment, and always hardest to point that finger back at yourself and say "Well, I screwed up." I know, because I've been there.

I think you could have just said you disagree that 3S Lipos are hard on a VXL-3. I however think my post was leading him the right direction quite well. Many believe that you should upgrade your ESC if you really want to rip fast like hes wanting to with that much voltage. I've read a lot of posts of people going to the Mamba Max Pro ESC but keeping the brushless motor the VXL -pede comes with. This works out a lot better for many

I only clarify because I really think if this guy is going to want to rock this fast he may need to upgrade his ESC. I am sort of surprised he needs to go this fast to begin with lol. The 2S lipos make it run quite quick and with the gearing ratio he had and the 3S LiPo it must have been blazing. I think he wants blazing :p

Why would you argue with someone with years of Brushless experience after you say you just got back into RC??? If the gearing is correct for 3s then its really not harder on the esc at all, you contradicted your posts.... just because you and Hobby shop employees think its harder on it doesn't mean thats true, check your facts before you argue with someone who knows what they are talking about.