Traxxas Stampede receiver

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everyone, I am just starting to get into RC cars/trucks and I recently bought a brand new RTR Traxxas Nitro Stampede. First of all I am sorry for so much text but I like to be specific to rule options out. I'm going to cut to the chase. When I was pushing the receiver antenna through the plastic tube I broke the end of the shielding off the antenna wire, exposing the antenna wire (maybe even broke some of the actual antenna wire too). I didn't think much about this and ran it the next day to break in the engine. Needless to say it worked flawlessly, I ran 4 tanks through it without any issue (Didn't even stall once!). I did however notice that sometimes if I had the transmitter and receiver on without the engine on (could have been doing it with the engine on too, couldn't notice because engine is too loud) it sounded like the steering servo was twitching but the tires weren't moving (maybe a tiny tiny bit, not noticeable though) and one time the tires and throttle/brakes moved fast back and forth without me touching the transmitter, again without the engine on. Today when I took it out to play I brought it to a different place, ran it around the field for a few minutes then I lost control of it, it didn't appear to "freak out" but it kinda "stuck" to what I had been doing when it lost the signal. For example, if I was turning at quarter throttle it would stick to that for a few seconds (it was a different amount of time when it lost the signal each time) and then I would be back in control. Luckily both times I lost control of it going fast, it was coming at me so I put my foot down in front of it to stop it. At first I thought there was maybe some interference with radio signals so I moved to another location further away from houses/people. Reluctantly I started it again and drove it real slow and still lost control of it a couple of times so I stopped. I don't know what kind of other radio signals could mess with mine, but I am 99% sure there is only one other person with a traxxas RC vehicle in my town (very small and secluded town ~300 people) and he is miles away from me. What do you guys think, did I ruin the antenna wire? Should I order a new receiver? Thanks for your time and help, I know, I wrote a lot.

No problem on the length. You at least used punctuation and good spelling.

Is the radio system an older AM or one of the newer 2.4Ghz Traxxas TQ systems? If it's the older AM style, the glitching you describe is caused by various things including CB radios and power lines. If this is the case, I would replace it with a newer 2.4 GHz system.

If it's a 2.4GHz system, it may just need to be rebind the receiver to the transmitter.

It is one of the older style AM ones. I am confused as to why they would continue using this old am style if it is so easily screwed with. As I mentioned before, I live in a small town with ~300 people, I can't imagine what it is like to use it in a populated area. Is it really this common to have a problem like this? What do you recommend I buy for a new radio and receiver?

I use a Spektrum DX-3s and would highly recommend it. You can also use the Traxxas Power Up program to trade your older Traxxas AM radio for a newer TQ or TQi 2.4 GHz radio for a nominal price.

Another option for $129 is the spectrum DX3C. I have it and love it. Just no telemetry but a big 20 model memory and plenty of adjustment and travel options.