traxxas stampede 2wd locked diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batmanninja

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so i seen alot of people on the you tube put jb weld or silly putty or paper towels or heavy grease or hot glue in their diff to lock it. i know that a locked diff gives you traction to both tires at the same time regardless of load or traction. irl a posi does basically the same thing. rather than jb weld or other items as mentioned above i filled my diff with silicone caulk. this is my first brushless car. i always had nitro. i got this one like 3 yrs ago and just got brushless and 3s lipo. how do you think this car be? my first run will probablly be next week when i get my lipo ballance charger.

A locked diff gives you good forward launch. What you lose is turning traction/control. With an unlocked diff, the wheels are allowed to turn at different speeds which is needed for smooth turning. Its a trade-off. Depending on what you are doing with the car, it may or may not be worth it. If you are unsure of the effects and haven't actually locked it up yet, you can try a very heavy oil and see how that works for you.

Running a locked diff is also very hard on the axles/sliders. The stampede isn't known for the strongest sliders, so odds are, locking the diff will just cause them to twist apart in a shorter time. At most, I'd run heavier silicone oil in it. On my 4x4 stampede, I'm running 60K (I think) and just that really hurt my turning radius, but I like power to all for wheels for bashing. Makes it less likely to get stuck high centered in rough terrain.

I do the same with the front diff in my Twin Hammers for the same reason. I like being able to turn AND be able to creep up some rocks with it.

Back