Traxxas Stampede 2wd 3S Basher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! :)
This is Tamiya PS-28 Translucent Green, backed with Tamiya PS-1 White (as stated in the thread :p )

ahh sorry must have read over it, pictures were distracting!
i opted for the tamiya PS-22 light green, looking at yours i wish i went the PS-28 one instead...

Truck is looking nice! I'm waiting for them to get my power-up kit in to swap from XL5 to VXL-3s - I love my Stampede 2wd especially after going to the MX-28 tires. :)

@D3MON
It was a bit above on the post where I painted the body. :D
And don't see it as a missed opportunity, look at it as your next paintjob idea :p
@marauder
Thanks you. :)
I haven't tried the MX28 personally, I have the Louise tires on which are great but balloon like crazy. And the next tires I'm gonna get may be the new Louise MicroFiber Tires...they don't balloon...like, at all. I putted them on in the hobbyshop for a test, and they didn't balloon at all (which is incredible for Brushless + 3S).
Oh, and this thing is nuts on brushless + 3S, have fun when you get it (although I have an other Brushless System in it, but that won't make that much of a difference) :D

I'd imagine these can balloon pretty bad, I prefer traction over anything so I always feather throttle to keep the power under control so I don't really notice it. They look very similar in pattern to your tires though. Nevermind my Mario shenanigans. It's in my office. :)

Attachments

• Image from iOS (4).jpg
    Image from iOS (4).jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 217
Well, I bought a 2wd for nonstop Wheelies, so that is what I do. :D
And my front tires maybe, but Louise actually has two more patters which are more similar to the MX28s (one is a bit smaller. the other even more aggressive)

So, here is my first Video with this thing (and my first driving video overall).
I have made it from a lot of short videos, that the same two friends made which made the last few pictures above, so again, thanks you two. :D

This just shows what I did with the Stampede during one 3S pack, and nothing broke (Although, my spur broke not even a pack after that when normal driving, so it is possible that it got a solid hit on this ride). The metallic sound and purple piece falling of is just my heatsink, so nothing to worry about.

Oh, and the painful ''Ahhhh'' noises are from me....this is the first run with this body, so the first few scratches hurt. :p
Well, maybe it was a bad idea to drive the first pack of the body on the skatepark. ?

Well, enjoy, and leave some feedback if you want to, I would appreciate it. :)

So, as I told in the last update my spur went out, soooo...

New part:
  • TRX4690 Spur 90T
The spur worked again, but not even a pack after, the Servo Saver went bye bye (to be honest, completely unexpected. I did a normal rollover/cartwheel, nothing to crazy, just a regular little accident). I still could keep driving, the steering was just waaaay of. While Inspecting the truck I also saw that the front & back skidplates are both cracked. So here we are, after 20 packs.

New Parts:
  • TRX1844 Servo Saver
  • TRX3623 Skid Plates
Yes, these are no upgrades, but like I said, I will mention any part I need (as I not only want to show you my build, but also show my impressions on the durability).

Also, if anyone knows a better good functioning Servo saver, please let me know. I just don't like the fact that this was the second one that went. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm totally okay with replacing the Servo saver if it saves the servo, but maybe there is a more durable design that still works as well?

Last edited:
HR Servo Saver May work. Haven’t tried it on my stampede yet though, but I do have one from my Clodbuster and they can take a beating.

Yeah it has one. And almost positive the HR servo saver will fit.

Attachments

• DC27EE22-94A9-4CA7-B0C0-834CEE8808E1.jpeg
    DC27EE22-94A9-4CA7-B0C0-834CEE8808E1.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 192
Whoops-a-daisy! Should have looked before I leaped on that one, Marauder. I assure you, I would never give technical advice without looking, I just don't remember seeing that when I did the stainless steel screw replacement on my Stampede. Had to replace the brand new motor under warranty, just didn't remember seeing anything unusual compared to my Rustlers. I did that stainless kit on all of my cars.

Okay, thanks a lot for the info, I will look into this, but it looks really nice. :D
Now, this will not be a part I will get right away, but I might get it if / when the next Servo Saver goes bye bye.

Well, I am 22 packs in, and the Servo Saver BROKE AGAIN.
I was driving with a friend of mine. He was driving the Stampede and had a few spectacular rollovers, but no frontal crashes. The Servo Saver went on one of the rollovers, so I'm getting an upgraded one...

Here is a picture of my Stampede together with my Arrma Big Rock Crew Cab :D

So, first of all, sorry that I didn't write for a longer time, I repaired the car and drove a little bit. I just hadn't had the time to post it as I have written a lot of exams lately, so I had other things to worry about.

But I will add everything in here that I changed / had to repair, so this is still 100% complete.

First thing you need to know that shortly after I repaired the Servo Saver (the broken one from the post above) my Spur Gear stripped again and the Ball Bearing of the Slipper broke.

New Parts:
  • KB124 Kimbrough Servo Saver
  • TRX4686 Spur Gear 86T
  • TRX3790 Fixed Gear Adapter
  • 1x Ball Bearing 5x11x4 2RS sealed (just one of ebay)
  • MH550TE16 Hot Racing Heat Sink
  • Servo to BEC Cable (the Fan Cable wasn't long enough)
  • TRX3725X Battery Expansion Kit
  • RPM 80332 Body Savers

So, the truck has about 25 packs through, what can I say about the new parts (although some of them are only a pack old):

The Servo Saver is nice. It does its job, hasn't broken and seems to be pretty sturdy.

The Spur Gear and Ball Bearing work, and the Fixed Gear Adapter sits in there nicely (I just wanted to make sure that the spur can't break because of the motor moving. I ruined two spurs now, I don't know why, so I want to exclude this as potential reason). By the way,if you are interested in what gearings the adapters do support, I have a photo of the gearing charts below).

The Heatsink (which as you can see in the pictures below is not used completely, only some parts of it) works really great, the motor was staying pretty cool the last run. The cable extension, well, extends the cable as needed. :D

The expansion kit works...but I have a feeling the holes on mine are drilled on the wrong heights (after installing it normally I couldn't put in the body clips on the lowest position even without a battery, the plastic battery holder was covering a part of the holes). With some washers installed I could use my small batteries again, but now there was some place left to wobble for my bigger Lipos. So, I glued some foam to the plastic battery holder on one side, now I can just simply turn it around with my bigger packs and they also sit there without moving.

The Body Savers were intended for the Holes on the back of the truck, but unfortanetly I couldn't put them on properly because of the structure of the truck bead. So now I just glued together both parts of them and put them between the body and the clips, a bit tedious but works alright.

So, how does the truck drive? Well, because of the longer gearing and the higher center of gravity because of the Battery Expansion Kit it now wheelies even a bit more, and now it gets a little bit to much to be honest. It is even harder to acclerate without a wheelie. But I have a feeling the balooning tires might be part of that problem, and I will look into this a bit later.

To finish it of, here are some pics:

The new Servo Saver

The Heatsink

The Battery Extension Kit (smaller Lipo)

The Battery Extension Kit (bigger Lipo)

Just to add it, how I plug my Lipo in normally so the Cable doesn't hang down on the side

The Body Safers

And to finish it of, the Gearing Chart for the Fixed Gear Adapters

Last edited:
Also, I mentioned up above that the balooning tires might be a part of the high speed wheelie problem. So, I was at my LHS and picked up some new back tires.

New part:
  • L-T3307SBH Louise MT Rocket (Belted Tires)
Yes, I know, the new Pro Line belted ones are out, but even the normal Pro Line Trenchers cost about 35€ here in Germany, and I picked up the Louise tires for 25€, and this is pretty awesome for belted tires.
Also, they are the wrong offset, but he only had the 1/2'' Offset in stock, and I wanted to try them. So, they are now my new back tires for tarmac use.

They are a little larger diameter and weight more (my old Louise Pioneer are 153 grams a tire, these ones are 263 grams).
Because of the larger diameter I remove all my preload clips at the back when I will use them to adjust the rear ride height.

After I have droven them you will hear my impression about them. For now I can tell that they don't even baloon at all on full throttle, while the old ones turn into full on Pizza cutters.

Here are some pics:

Comparison between the two tires

The Truck with the old & new back tires

Oh, I almost forgot:

@Lazy Bushman Have you finished your Stampede Body yet? If yes, would you might posting it, I'm really curious how it turned out. :)

Nah mate, I still haven’t even started it?

Back