Traxxas Sledge Tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaMic006

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked up my new Sledge yesterday and I'm already wondering what tires would be best suited for it. I was looking at the Proline belted badlands or trenchers. Hopefully to take out some of the ballooning.

I'm new to the forum and to RC. Any help/recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

The Badlands are some of the best all-terrain tires out there, but in grass, they can be hard on drivetrain components. If you plan to drive in grass, consider the Trenchers or Hatchets instead.

Thanks!

I'll probably go with the trenchers then since I will be in the grass quite a bit. Any major downside to going belted?

Thanks!

I'll probably go with the trenchers then since I will be in the grass quite a bit. Any major downside to going belted?
More rotational weight. Do you have an infrared temp gun to monitor your motor temps? If not, it will be a good idea to keep an eye on things.

I don’t so I’ll probably need to pick one up.

For offroad, the backflip MT's are a great tire. They balloon some on 6S, but aren't too bad. You can wrap them to limit it. They are similar dimensions to the old tall trencher 3.8's, but are lighter. The wheels are also 1/4" offset I think, so will be a bit more narrow track than the sledge stock tires.

If you want it to be less floaty, you can try the backflip LP's and put them on traxxas 8671 wheels to retain the 1/2" offset.

I run the backflip MT's on 3 of my 6S trucks and the LP's on my maxx4s (which I run 6S in). I wrapped all of them though with 550lb cored kevlar to limit ballooning and to help avoid blowing them off rims or ruining them. It works really well and holds up for a long time.

Here's a comparison of some tires, including the trencher 3.8's, backflip MT and LP's:
2021-0827-tireCompare-backflip-trencher-talonExt.jpg

Another dumb newbie question….

My LHS had a set of trenchers so I picked them up. Will I have to replace the hubs to use them or am I better off buying the tires to put on some Traxxas wheels?

If they are 17mm they should fit fine. Traxxas keyed hubs can accept any 17mm wheel, but traxxas wheels only fit on traxxas hubs.

I do agree they balloon a bit. But compared to others that can't even get to the same speed as the Sledge. I was impressed with the stock results. I would really have to think about the weight of going belted vs the ballooning of not.... but that's just personal conflict I have to talk with my therapist about. 🤔

yeah I’m rethinking…. Can’t decide if the extra 5.3 oz per wheel/tire is worth it.

let me know what your therapist says!!

I put on Proline, badlands. 3.8 belted. Works for me. I would get the motor fan, direct fit. Maybe a chassis skit plate. The Sledge has more than enough oopf to handle belted tires, And all. Have fun.

Thanks!

I've noticed a considerable decrease in controllability while in the air with belted tires.

The duratrax havoks are a great tire for the sledge. Belted and lighter then the trenchers. I have not had a problem with rims cracking except for the 1/5 scale. Other then that they have been great!

Back