Traxxas Sledge ESC cooling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesB2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
The Traxxas Sledge uses the Traxxas 3485 Velineon VXL-6s. How do people cool it? I run my Sledge pretty hard (grass/sand) and it goes into protection mode. I would like to see/know how people keep it cool.
How do you mount a fan to it?
Did you replace the stock ESC?

The esc should already have a fan on it stock. With the motor, not sure on how you would mount a fan or heatsink due to the motor mount going around the motor. I would gear down so it can be less heat (but that means less speed too) A lot of people have overheating issues with the VXL systems. Highly recommend a temp gun to track the ESC and motor heat.

Screenshot_20230502-101546.png

Screenshot_20230502-101639.png

The ESC has a built in fan. Traxxas offers a fan for the motor. 4 screws, and boom you're in. Just plug it in to the receiver. I used #5. Mine came with a shroud fan cover. Amazon has a good fan as well. I like to keep my parts all Traxxas. I never had heating issues with my Sledge. :hyperbuggy:

there's many ways to cool systems off . fan gearing so on. what kv? how many cells? pictures of rig might help

My recommendation is replacing the fan with a Team Brood or some other high volume fan and run it directly off of your receiver. And take a moment to clean out any crud that might have built up in between your heat sink fins.

The real solution is probably gearing your truck down to a 12t.

I think gearing down might help your truck and checking the ESC to see if it needs cleaning or replacing i would try that first. I used to have a Sledge myself and it ran fairly cool on both 4 and 6s running stock gearing. Another thing to check if the pinion gear meshed too tight between the spur gear and binding. I hope my suggestions helps you.

Back