Traxxas slayer pro 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RcDriver22

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to this forum but not the rc world. first nitro truck, i had a gas bought so i have experience with tuning. I just bought one and had a few questions. 1. Fuel. My LHS sales wildcat black ops, traxxas and odonell, but can order any fuel. What is going to be the best to run in this 3.3? 2. How is the truck? First things to upgrade? Pros? Cons?

Thanks rc.

Agreed on Odonnells fuel. As far as upgrades go with rpm a-arms when you break the stock ones. As stated above i would also run it till it broke then upgrade as things break.

Ok thanks! Ever tried the black ops fuel though?

Nope but its made by the same company that makes sidewinder and I've ran sidewinder 30% with 10% oil and it did really well.

I race my slayer pro and I love the thing. Everyone says losi is better but bleh, I prefer the slayer. O'Donnell 20% is what I run with an os #8 and I have no complaints.

The first mod I did was the center diff. And brake from a revo. Single best mod u can do, hands down. It handles 100x better.

My second favorite mod was getting the gtr aluminum shock bodies with anodized shafts, as they are much more sturdy under abuse. What made them great however was installing the revo variable damping pistons. They spring back so much faster without losing any dampening, it was a very noticeable improvement on the track. Highly recommended. You can get the pistons for a few bucks on eBay and they work in the stock shocks too.

Another must is stiffer springs! Stock springs are way too soft. I'm running browns in the back and yellows in the front. Now throw on the sway bar kit and you now have twice the rig as it was stock and it feels like a totally different truck.

Those are the 3 in my opinion.

The close ratio 2 speed is another great mod, more torque after shifting.

My profile has the list of all the mods on mine and I outperform everyone else at my local track and those losis can't even keep up. Its just so easy to drive fast its amazing how much difference it is.

Running 1/8 buggy wheels and tires helped a ton too if they allow it at your track. Less tire roll makes for better cornering.

Personally I don't have any cons other than the horrible stock tires and springs. Yes those tires are awful and must go if you plan to race lol. What type u want depends on your tracks surface...

I know some mods aren't cheap but they were all worth it to me. Hope this helped.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

My revo started as a slayer. Was fun with a 2.5R in it, but with the areas I run (no track, parks with grass and concrete skatepark only), I changed it over to a revo, then added a 3.3 chassis... 3.3 engine and then big block.

I don't think RPM makes slayer arms, but if you ever go revo, start out with RPM arms, true-track in the rear. Is a tough setup to beat.

I also use the variable shock dampers. They do SOOOO much better than typical shocks. Lets you run a lighter oil for quick rebound, but handles air so much better. Way better than just upping the oil and springs. Was a night and day difference for me, but I did it after I converted to a revo.

I Run Blue Thunder 20% Nitro Fuel in my Rig's Never had a problem with this Fuel & burns good / clean has not messed up any of my Glow Plug's...

I actually ran the Sidewinder 20% in my 3.3 and never had a problem with it even after about 5 gallons.

torco, vp, odonells, and byrons are top fuels i can think of right off the top of my head. sidewinder isnt bad tho i like how it has a lower oil content then alot of fuels

Back