Traxxas Revo 3.3 battery

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcaddict234

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I am wanting to put a small battery in my Traxxas Revo 3.3. It is a lipo 7.4 volt battery. I want to run a remote starter and my receiver off of it but I understand that the receiver runs off of 6 volts not 7.4. Can anyone tell me if the receiver will run off of 7.4 volts without blowing up? Or how to restrict it to 6 volts? I also want to get the Losi R.O.S.S. System but I cannot find it anywhere even Amazon. Can anyone tell me where to get it or if it is still available? Thank you!

I am wanting to put a small battery in my Traxxas Revo 3.3. It is a lipo 7.4 volt battery. I want to run a remote starter and my receiver off of it but I understand that the receiver runs off of 6 volts not 7.4. Can anyone tell me if the receiver will run off of 7.4 volts without blowing up? Or how to restrict it to 6 volts? I also want to get the Losi R.O.S.S. System but I cannot find it anywhere even Amazon. Can anyone tell me where to get it or if it is still available? Thank you!

Wolunstart makes a controller board that would work for your purposes, assuming you're planning to use the stock ez-start gearbox. Wolunstart makes one too, but it's flipped so it goes over the right-hand side of the engine.

It's a great little board, it integrates a glow driver and a BEC so you can still use normal servos. You'd have to wire it a little differently if you want to run everything off the lipo, like HV servos, but it's worked great for me.

The ROSS system started 10-12 years ago on the Losi Ten-T and Ten-SCT. They were horrible systems which just like their traxxas counter parts were often removed from the kits as soon as people got their hands on the kits. They did so poorly that the system was mothballed with the Losi Ten series nitro kits years ago. I'm not aware of any other kits with that system. Good luck finding one.

Just throw a external bec in the truck to be safe.. Guessing your trying to power your servos. With more power?

Wolunstart makes a controller board that would work for your purposes, assuming you're planning to use the stock ez-start gearbox. Wolunstart makes one too, but it's flipped so it goes over the right-hand side of the engine.

It's a great little board, it integrates a glow driver and a BEC so you can still use normal servos. You'd have to wire it a little differently if you want to run everything off the lipo, like HV servos, but it's worked great for me.
Can you tell me or send a picture of your setup? That would be a huge help. Thank you for your advice.

Can you tell me or send a picture of your setup? That would be a huge help. Thank you for your advice.
Also I looked into that starting system. What is the easiest way to get it?

Also I looked into that starting system. What is the easiest way to get it?

Either through aliexpress or on ebay (both links to item pages)

I'd take a picture but it wouldn't illustrate much.

The wolunstart control board sits in the radio tray, and has a servo connector to the receiver, through which is receives the start signal and also provides power to the receiver and servos via a 5V BEC. It uses a 3S lipo battery, I use turnigy nano-tech 950mah or 1000mah 3S packs to fit into the tight space. It has 2 wires going to the starter motor, and 2 for the glow plug - one you attach to the engine block either under the screw for the exhaust manifold or the engine mount, the other goes to the top of the glow plug.

You assign a momentary toggle to the wolunstart board, and it cranks the engine when you push the corresponding button on the remote.

The wolunstart control board sits in the radio tray, and has a servo connector to the receiver, through which is receives the start signal and also provides power to the receiver and servos via a 5V BEC. It uses a 3S lipo battery, I use turnigy nano-tech 950mah or 1000mah 3S packs to fit into the tight space. It has 2 wires going to the starter motor, and 2 for the glow plug - one you attach to the engine block either under the screw for the exhaust manifold or the engine mount, the other goes to the top of the glow plug.

You assign a momentary toggle to the wolunstart board, and it cranks the engine when you push the corresponding button on the remote.
Ok. Thank you for the help. Does the connectors for the motor fit on the stock Traxxas one?

Will this wolunstart run off of a 2s 7.4v battery?

Ok. Thank you for the help. Does the connectors for the motor fit on the stock Traxxas one?

Hey, sorry I didn't see this in my notifications somehow. Yes, it will, just standard slide-on tabs.

Will this wolunstart run off of a 2s 7.4v battery?

Yes, the control board is good for 2-4S, but if you use their gearbox you may have to change the motor for one with fewer turns to crank harder on a lower voltage; they recommend a 3S on the product pages. They also recommend a 1500mah battery, but I've gotten by with a 950mah 3s providing plenty of cranking and subsequent power through the BEC for the servos.

If you're using a traxxas easy start gearbox and motor, it should work great with 2S

I actually took mine out today and was running it, it's been a robust little system so far.

Last edited:
Hey, sorry I didn't see this in my notifications somehow. Yes, it will, just standard slide-on tabs.

Yes, the control board is good for 2-4S, but if you use their gearbox you may have to change the motor for one with fewer turns to crank harder on a lower voltage; they recommend a 3S on the product pages. They also recommend a 1500mah battery, but I've gotten by with a 950mah 3s providing plenty of cranking and subsequent power through the BEC for the servos.

If you're using a traxxas easy start gearbox and motor, it should work great with 2S

I actually took mine out today and was running it, it's been a robust little system so far.
Thanks a ton. My plan is to run it with a venom lipo shorty pack. 7.4v 2s 4600mah. Also, i want to connect it to my shifter switch on my Traxxas Revo 3.3. (Do not recommend Optidrive) Will this give power to the receiver and switch on And off with the switch? I’ve got to say these forums are filled with really nice people I thank you for that.

Thanks a ton. My plan is to run it with a venom lipo shorty pack. 7.4v 2s 4600mah. Also, i want to connect it to my shifter switch on my Traxxas Revo 3.3. (Do not recommend Optidrive) Will this give power to the receiver and switch on And off with the switch? I’ve got to say these forums are filled with really nice people I thank you for that.

Yup! That should work how you're planning. That battery may be a bit overkill, but that's your call; you'll never run out in the field, that's for sure.

Yup! That should work how you're planning. That battery may be a bit overkill, but that's your call; you'll never run out in the field, that's for sure.
Yeah that’s my goal haha. Thanks for the help.