Traxxas nitro sport rebuild !!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antndrew78

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
IMG_2729.JPG
IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2732.JPG
ok so I got this rc with a lot of trucks it was just thrown in and at first glance it is in real bad shape but I have decided to give it a shot and rebuild it.
It looks like one of the first nitro sports to come out I haven't tested the electronic yet but it is caked in sand in nitro oil the engine is siezed so I have my work cut out here are some pics let me know what you think I am hoping to do this project on a budget any info or tips would be great thanks

IMG_2733.JPG
Here is a pic with the body maybe someone can date it from what year it's from

Last edited:
View attachment 19317 View attachment 19318 View attachment 19319 View attachment 19320 ok so I got this rc with a lot of trucks it was just thrown in and at first glance it is in real bad shape but I have decided to give it a shot and rebuild it.
It looks like one of the first nitro sports to come out I haven't tested the electronic yet but it is caked in sand in nitro oil the engine is siezed so I have my work cut out here are some pics let me know what you think I am hoping to do this project on a budget any info or tips would be great thanks

View attachment 19321 Here is a pic with the body maybe someone can date it from what year it's from

At least it still has a filter on it ,might be seized do to just sitting ,just be cautious when you start with the engine removal!...:cool:

That's awesome! Looks like the old Image.12 engine. Those are rare and hard to find. Just guessing it's from the late 80's . Be careful taking it apart as parts aren't available for that engine. You scored something special there. Congrats!

I thought the engine looked different then the .15 I am going to try and clean up the outside of it real good before I take it apart in the past I have let it soak in wd 40 spay some in the cylinder and carb let it sit then I heat them up with a heat gun and work them free going to try that before I take it apart to clean it I am new to nitro not engines though I redid an old t maxx that was covered in oil and sand real pain to get it clean but I am gonna try I would love to see this old truck run again thanks

IMG_3508.JPG
Question on the axels if anyone is familiar with this model it's the original nitro sport it has the black trans I removed the grub screws but the axels are not slipping out there apears to be a screw in the middle do I have to take them apart then remove the screw just thought I would look for advice before trying

There should be a grub screw through the metal part through the axle output. It's a small Allen head but the grub runs all the way through...about a half inch long. When that's removed, just pull the axle and it will separate.

If you had an air compressor ,you can blow it off with the air nozzle!

I would have took it out an hosed it down with a dowse of gas an water hose fire nozzle!...serious !...:D

No .I'm serious ,
Take servo's off an any electrics out ,take the chassy out in the yard with a spray bottle of degreaser .spray it down
with the degreaser ,an shoot it hard with a hard water nozzle.

Let it sun dry ,an then spray it down with WD-40 an wipe it down.... then your good to go!...:cool:

Last edited:
Great advise these axels are different the grub screws don't go all the way through there like set screws and there are screws in the center the yokes are white old style not sure I know my other traxxas they go through this thingis super cakes in grease and old nitro and lots of sand I am gonna tear the whole thing down and see wht it needs

Great advise these axels are different the grub screws don't go all the way through there like set screws and there are screws in the center the yokes are white old style not sure I know my other traxxas they go through this thingis super cakes in grease and old nitro and lots of sand I am gonna tear the whole thing down and see wht it needs

Just be careful an don't over tighten the set screws!..
But like I said ,don't be afraid of using hot soapy water for cleaning the parts ,afterwards ,spray it with some light
lube like WD an patt dry with a rag!

I am afraid of getting water in the gear box

By the looks of,what you've got. I'd plan on a 100% teardown. Leave no part uncleaned or uninspected. There is a LOT of dirt and that translates to a. LOT of wear. Tear the axles right down. Water iinside should be your last concern!!! Def do as @cbaker65. Suggests..... Remove all electronics and then hit it with a good degreaser to remove the largest parts of the contamination. I would personally plan on taking this so far,down that you will have removed and cleaned each bearing as well. Complete rebuild here!!!

Last edited:
CD03731E-979B-44F8-8B37-DB4FDD50D1D7.jpeg
5CB361BD-5BBF-4E21-BE90-8E62A6809AC1.jpeg
931DAEB5-10EC-49B9-9522-685542B40383.jpeg
5F4E9285-E8E4-45C8-BF8B-7D9946D79380.jpeg
92181BC2-139B-46BF-A9BB-8C1440E9B6F1.jpeg
Y
DF5C943D-30DA-4B71-9DF7-9D5B4EEE2B74.jpeg
After much cleaning it’s going back to get her I picked up a used engine that looks new and it came with a bunch of mip parts not sure if it will for the package says nitro rustler for the tower brace have a look and let me know what you think also that gasket looks small for the opening I believe this set up is called the mip stinger 360 runs the pipe out the back any advice would be great

The MIP is hop-up parts from day gone by ,so any hop-ups like MIP ,or Hardcore ,I would definitely pick up if the price was right ,some
of those parts are hard to find an are sought after!...:thumbs-up:

The gasket ,you can take an exacto knife an clean it out!...:cool:

If anyone has info on that setup that would be great the shock tower seems to move the shocks a little from stock location

I got it installed I used the original mip exhaust that was on the truck with new used engine it started up I drove it around and before I could tune it the temp went to 280 and shut down I didn’t have time to mess with it so a couple of days later I went to start it up and it would not start when it turns over it doesn’t sound rite so the engine is coming out and I am checking the one way bearing I thought I had cleaned it and see how it sound if it turns over normal it could use a new glow plug also . The carb has a broken idle screw but the idle seems ok where it’s set I have a spare carb that will go it also if it’s to messed up a new engine will be going in maybe a 2.5

Will need a new header at least if you go with a 2.5. I'd suggest something besides traxxas bolt on headers... they tend to crack if you look at them funny.

I used to use a mildly tweaked associated small block side pipe header on my jato. I had to bend it a bit so the pipe would clear the starter housing. Guessing it was made for a bump start engine.

HPI had one that would probably work ok.
http://www.hobbyprosdepot.com/product-p/hpi86164.htm

I think that's the right direction.

Spring mount at the engine so there's some give. I found with the header I had that OS 18 gaskets worked well.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=OSMG8871&P=FB&Q=1

Last edited:
Back