Traxxas JATO 3.3 problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akaRyken

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a JATO, and recently I stripped the spur gear, when taking it apart I felt that the clutch bell was sorta loose. So I ordered some shims for it along with extra spur gears, when I put it back together I started it and the wheels didn't move and it revved very high. After taking it apart again I saw that I forgot to put on the clutch shoes, so I put them on and it did the same thing. I took the shims off of the clutch bell. I also took apart the transmission and found a stripped gear so I replaced it, I haven't tried starting it yet but I am unsure of the issue.

If you tore apart the tranny and replaced a stripped gear, that should be your issue.

Where it stops is the issue, if your motor turns but not the driveshafts, its the tranny. If the drive shaft spins but not the wheel, the hex or wheel rounded, the pin sheared, rounded, or fell out.

Its a process of elimination. The worse thing is you may have to take something apart again.

The clutch bell should have side to side play. If it is front to back, as in the gear has play from the front of the car to the rear, look into new bearings on the clutch. The stripped spur could be from the motor too loose, motor too far back, bad bearing, worn clutchbell, and tight clutch and aggressive driving.

Traxxas also has exploded views.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=traxxas+jato+exploded+view&t=samsung&iax=images&ia=images

If you tore apart the tranny and replaced a stripped gear, that should be your issue.

Where it stops is the issue, if your motor turns but not the driveshafts, its the tranny. If the drive shaft spins but not the wheel, the hex or wheel rounded, the pin sheared, rounded, or fell out.

Its a process of elimination. The worse thing is you may have to take something apart again.

The clutch bell should have side to side play. If it is front to back, as in the gear has play from the front of the car to the rear, look into new bearings on the clutch. The stripped spur could be from the motor too loose, motor too far back, bad bearing, worn clutchbell, and tight clutch and aggressive driving.

Traxxas also has exploded views.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=traxxas+jato+exploded+view&t=samsung&iax=images&ia=images
The spur gear spins the wheels fine, even before I tore apart the transmission, the problem I'm having is the clutch bell won't spin even when I give it throttle.

Are the bearings seized on it? Is there any shims on it?

The spur gear spins the wheels fine, even before I tore apart the transmission, the problem I'm having is the clutch bell won't spin even when I give it throttle.

Make sure the flywheel itself didn't loosen up ,sometimes that happens that throws people off!
If the flywheel loosen up ,you may have to replace the collet!..👍😎

A very common problem people missed were to put the clutch pads in the wrong direction.

Are the bearings seized on it? Is there any shims on it?
The bearings in the clutch bell seem to be fine, they spin very well, and no, there isn't any shims on it anymore.

Back