Traxxas ESC problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahmadfl2000

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all
I do have slash 4x4, the problem is the ESC is always on once I connect it to battery, and the only way to switch it of is to disconnect the battery.
In addition, it does not respond as expected to any programming and it drives forward only.
Please help.
Thanks,

Hi @ahmadfl2000 i have a 2wd with the vxl I'm not sure why it wouldnt turn off with the button enless it broke or got submerged in water and with your only driving foward problem is that its in race mode to take it out of race mode whe you power it on keep holding down the power button till it blinks once then let go and youll be able to do reverse and foward with full power heres the different modes
1 blink is 100% foward 100% backwards throttle or sport mode
2 blinks is race mode some races you can't use reverse so thats what you have on is race mode 100% foward throttle 0% backwards
3 blinks is begginer/training mode witch is 50% foward 50% backwords
give me a bit to see why your button wouldnt be working
here is the video of how to set the modes and also is the button stuck or just turns on and doesn't turn off?
also i think the race mode doesn't let it be turned off enless you unplug the battery but let me double check
alright i figured it out the newer versions They changed this because people were leaving they're batteries plugged in after hitting the power button causeing them to over discharge and become permanent damaged or even explode. Never leave you batteries plugged in to your esc even if it is "off". have to give credit to the reddit i found this on hope this solves all problems

Last edited:
thanks all, but it does not respond to any programming, apparently it is broke.

Since the power button is also the program button on the vxl-3s (assuming that's the esc you have), then your likely out of luck trying to change anything in it or calibrating it to the receiver.

My vxl-3s lasted me quite a while, but then started dropping power for no reason.

FWIW, the hobbywing max10 sct is a good alternative. That's what I have in my e-jato now in place of the vxl-3s.

It sounds like your power button is stuck down. When you push the power button, do you feel it depress or hear/feel a click? I've had 2 that would occasionally stick when pushed. Try blowing compressed air in/around the power button or lightly tapping around the button.

Since the power button is also the program button on the vxl-3s (assuming that's the esc you have), then your likely out of luck trying to change anything in it or calibrating it to the receiver.

My vxl-3s lasted me quite a while, but then started dropping power for no reason.

FWIW, the hobbywing max10 sct is a good alternative. That's what I have in my e-jato now in place of the vxl-3s.
yea for some reason mines also losing power alot slower than last year
might have to get the max10 its not to expensive but I'm planning on buying a 3d printer then 3d printing 1/24 chassis so i might just stick with the vxl3s