Traxxas bringing back kits?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, this isn't really meant to be about Traxxas more pointing out the fact that if Traxxas is doing it, then others will likely follow suit.

Agreed @slick2500, I hope that Traxxas do improve their products, much like I hope all manufactures do. I own both and there are pro's and con's of both.....it's horses for course. The reason Arrma is so good is that it saw opportunities for improvement in the market and they capitalised on that to their benefit, they didn't invent the RC. If Traxxas improve their offering and make a product that ticks all my boxes then I will probably bu it, same for Losi, Axial, HP, etc, etc, but for now it is Arrma.

I don't care who innovates, I just want to see innovation to happen as that's how we get progress

Why are we talking about Traxxas? Traxxas is the reason I’m now a card carrying arrma member! I don’t care what Traxxas does to try and rebrand itself, but I do miss the kit, the building of the car, nostalgia aside I won’t buy Traxxas at all.

I guess it is being discussed because it is interesting. This is posted under the Other RC's section which is where we discuss other RC's and we don't need to hate Traxxas to love Arrma. I get some don't like Traxxas, me I don't care, I will buy whatever pushes all the right buttons for me. At the end of the day they are just toys and something I have fun playing with and I like a variety of toys

The nice thing about Traxxas vehicles, you can buy a used one and put nothing but aftermarket parts on it, and Traxxas doesn't get any of your hard earned money. I still have less money in all 3 of my Traxxas vehicles than I do in my Outcast.

Just saw this on amain https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas-stampede-4x4-1-10-rtr-4wd-monster-truck-kit-tra67010-4/p945388

Even though it is a Traxxas this is good to see none race kits making a comeback.
Would be more interesting if it wasn't the "brushed" version but rather the brushless, which has better diffs, center axle at least.

I was always a basher and if the truck had stuff in it that was good enough to get me rolling, I was usually pretty content. Like with my outcast, I only replaced what I broke with something better. Still have the stock motor/esc in it.

I noticed a few others on here mention that if the kit came with better components, then it makes sense. But selling a roller with the same low rent parts... what's the point? I guess it's cheaper if your going to upgrade the motor/esc anyway.

I noticed a few others on here mention that if the kit came with better components, then it makes sense. But selling a roller with the same low rent parts... what's the point? I guess it's cheaper if your going to upgrade the motor/esc anyway.

It seems that’s how they roll. After watching Vas’s interview video, I would put money on Arrma leading the way in this part too. Give us a kit with upgrades and we will buy it THEN it becomes the norm. BUT, then again I could be wrong, he did say his main focus is the RTR market...we shall see...

Given their sketchy history with trying to sue their competitors out of business, It wouldn't surprise me if the retards at Traxxas HQ tried to patent the idea of offering RTR and kit versions just so they could file more frivolous lawsuits.

The whole appeal of a kit is the lower price coupled with being able to put in your own electronics right off the bat. I for one prefer to buy a RTR and then upgrade as parts fail but if I had a bunch of parts laying around looking for a roller to be put in then I'd buy up a kit/roller in a second, given the prices isn't as absurd as a Tekno or the Proline MT.

Redcat is doing a kit of the Gen 8, called the Gen 8 pack. HB Racing, Yokomo, and Hobbyking all do pseudo kits of their buggies. I call them pseudo kits because they are already partially assembled.

I like building a kit, but to be honest I just don’t have the time. Give me a kit with the options or don’t kit it at all.

Redcat is doing a kit of the Gen 8, called the Gen 8 pack. HB Racing, Yokomo, and Hobbyking all do pseudo kits of their buggies. I call them pseudo kits because they are already partially assembled.
The Gen 8 Pack is a Pre Assembled Chassis Kit, aka PACK. It comes already assembled and all you have to do is put your body, rims, tires and electronics on it. Mine will be here this weekend. I really wish that it came as a full blown kit that you have to assemble though.

I like building a kit, but to be honest I just don’t have the time. Give me a kit with the options or don’t kit it at all.
Yeah, this. That Traxxas Pede kit would be like Arrma offering the mega 4x4 as a kit. No bueno. A kit version of the BLX would be cool. A stripped kit would suck.

When I hear kit I think of the Tamiya stuff that you put together and is all but ready to run. A chassis without electronics and tires is not a kit.

The Gen 8 Pack is a Pre Assembled Chassis Kit, aka PACK. It comes already assembled and all you have to do is put your body, rims, tires and electronics on it. Mine will be here this weekend. I really wish that it came as a full blown kit that you have to assemble though.
Thats why i called them pseudo kits. As for a full blown kit, not for me. I had way too much of that with Tamiya and Kyosho in the mid to late 80's. After you have built more than a few Hornet and Grasshopper kits, it gets old, but that might just be me. I dont even like taking them apart to fix them anymore.

I enjoyed the TRX4 kit. It was my first build. Learned a lot which will hopefully help if upgrades or fixes are needed.

Thats why i called them pseudo kits. As for a full blown kit, not for me. I had way too much of that with Tamiya and Kyosho in the mid to late 80's. After you have built more than a few Hornet and Grasshopper kits, it gets old, but that might just be me. I don't even like taking them apart to fix them anymore.
Sorry, when I read your post it came across that you were saying that the HB racing, Yokomo and Hobbyking were pseudo kits and the Redcat was an actual kit. It didn't seem like you were including the Redcat in the pseudo kit. Either way I'm still excited to get the new platform and start working on it.

I enjoyed the TRX4 kit. It was my first build. Learned a lot which will hopefully help if upgrades or fixes are needed.
This is exactly why I love kits. You get familiar with the vehicle and learn how everything works. Also, when it comes time to work on them, if you get lost on what you are doing you have the step by step directions to get it put back together. I really wish more vehicles came as kits or at least as options.

This is exactly why I love kits. You get familiar with the vehicle and learn how everything works. Also, when it comes time to work on them, if you get lost on what you are doing you have the step by step directions to get it put back together. I really wish more vehicles came as kits or at least as options.
I have never had any kind of rock crawler, like the TRX4, but, i have had a lot of buggies and truggies and short course trucks, and it might be because I'm getting older, but i prefer RTR and ARR to kits. When i was a teen, building them wasn't that bad, except it got boring if you did it enough times. I also used to build model cars, and have more than 100 completed cars, but, i havent done one of them in probably 10 years or more. Oddly though, its why i actually like some of the redcat stuff, like the Volcano/Tornado. The chassis is versatile enough, and used in enough different configurations, that you arent stuck with the same vehicle every day. Change a few parts, and it goes from a monster truck, to a buggy, and if you use exceed rc parts, can even be a truggy or short course truck. Right now, i have a hybrid, that started as a Volcano, in pieces because I'm making a monster buggy out of it, and adding a brushless setup.

I think I might actually get one. After tekno cvds and rpm arms my brother in laws truck seems to stay together pretty good. After those I could still put in a Chinese 3660 setup and a $6 rx top bind to my radio and be ahead of the game. I might wait and see if the 2wd rustler comes back as a kit though.

Of course I'll be over the cost of a granite blx... hmmm

Back