Track Cleaning/Grooming

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KryptoRoxx

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Didn't know where to post this but since I run Nitro I posted it here. I found a couple of tracks by where I live in Japan and the Off-road one is in need of repair and TLC. Since I'm a complete noob to the sport I was wondering if there were any tips to grooming a track and bringing it back from the dead. Apparently here in Japan the on-road scene is HUGE with drifting and off-road seems to be collecting dust.....although plenty of them watch me when I drive...go figure. Anyway I included some pics of the track I took off my phone to give you guys an idea of what I'm working with. The track surface is a basically a fine steam gravel with packed clay underneath. Parts of the track are well overgrown but redeemable.

imag0070m.th.jpg

imag0069i.th.jpg

imag0068e.th.jpg

I didn't realize that the details would be so crappy so here's a basic word layout. If you start by the racer's stand there's a long right and then a hard u turn to a short left to a big jump. After the big jump it S-turns to the far straighaway and a long right turn around the outside of the track. Then it u-turns after a couple of humpdy dumpys and u turns again sharply into a bigger set of whoopdies and then you take a left and it takes you back to the racer's stand.

I would love to ask permission to groom the track but it's a completely public park that no one really owns. I don't want to modify the track layout I just want to make it usable again. What I plan to do is get a weed wacker and a rake and basically mow the track so that I'm not getting grass wrapped up in my driveshafts anymore. Are there any other things I should consider taking with me?

Those tracks are badass!

You are on the right track as far as bringing it back to life. Ideally, you will want to get any grass off the driving surface, but cutting it as short as you can will work for bashing. Fill any pot holes and sprinkle with water to pack it down.

I bet if you get out there and start running you will inspire others to come out and do the same.

The on-road one is badass....it's definitely asphalt. The off-road one is pretty nice but I don't like the concrete sides since I'm a noob and I'm not awesome at driving yet. I already knocked a shock out hitting the side lol. Didn't think about the water though. Thanks for the tip. I'm on leave for about a month so I think I can bring this back in a day or so if I go out there and really clean it up before I run.

I'll post some pics after I do my damage. I'm going out there tomorrow and pulling up my sleeves to recover this track. I might even take a real camera with me so you can see the beautiful spot that this track is located in. You wouldn't expect to see a track in this type of park.....but the Japanese never cease to amaze.

Well things got a little harder than I thought. The base didn't have any gas powered weed eaters so I had to do it by hand lol. It's not perfect but I did make the jumps a little bigger. I'm just having trouble clearing them because of the location of the jumps. I can't move them forward any because then I'll be jumping right into a barrier and I can't move them back because they'll be in a turn. I'll figure something out though. I think the fact that I don't have good tires for loose pack is a good bit of the acceleration problems. It's still a work in progress but I will post pics of it when I get done. Should have it done by this weekend. Hopefully the little Mamasan (grandma) that runs the Hobby Shop has clutch bearings....I blew mine today.

Back