Torque vs top end

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Plug1420

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My hpi savage is running a 47t steel spur gear and a 17t HD clutch bell but I'm noticing wear on them. What different setups can i run and what will be the outcome?

lower tooth on clutchbell means more torque, and more teeth on spur is more torque. mainly you are limited to what is available for spur gears, but some rigs can limit the size of spur/CB options for physical reasons.
i don't nor have owned savages, (or physically seen on even) so i can't say what limits it has.
Happy RCing!

lower tooth on clutchbell means more torque, and more teeth on spur is more torque. mainly you are limited to what is available for spur gears, but some rigs can limit the size of spur/CB options for physical reasons.
i don't nor have owned savages, (or physically seen on even) so i can't say what limits it has.
Happy RCing!

Lol...That gearing on are trucks ,we would definitely lose the hole shot!

lol right! would be hauling some ass though.

I am not sure what the gearing is in a savage tranny ,but an Mgt. ,even a 49 t spur knocks the punch completely
off ,especially if your using a 17 to 19t bell!

A 28 size engine would have to be leaned as far as it can go ,I am running the 5.9 ,an my gearing effected
it ,it will not wheely from a stand still ,unless I lean the engine more ,but I don't like my engines that leaned
out ,I always leave room for error in case something goes wrong!

Happy RCing!
What if i do a 52t on spur gear and 17t on clutch bell?

that is similar to what i am running on my MGT, it seems to do well, but i do not know what the transmission gear ratio differences are. do you feel you need more top end or more low end? going from 47 to 52 will be a good deal of torque increase.

What if i do a 52t on spur gear and 17t on clutch bell?

I am not D3mon ,but I will say that I wouldn't make that of a drastic gear change ,it only takes a couple of teeth
to make a big difference!

I would try a 49 or a 50 if you can find that size ,with a MT. ,you might want more torque than speed ,or try to
find a good balance of both that would fit your trucks performance an where you run it at!

If your truck does lack speed ,then make sure that the engine is tuned right ,an your 2 spd is kicking in!

I am not D3mon ,but I will say that I wouldn't make that of a drastic gear change ,it only takes a couple of teeth
to make a big difference!

I would try a 49 or a 50 if you can find that size ,with a MT. ,you might want more torque than speed ,or try to
find a good balance of both that would fit your trucks performance an where you run it at!

If your truck does lack speed ,then make sure that the engine is tuned right ,an your 2 spd is kicking in!
+1 to this ^
10% of tooth change is very large.

Quite a few of the late savage nitro's started with 47/17 I believe. The X, XL both did I think. I think the 3-speed trans started a bit slower as well, the extra shift would give you more low end.

I never ran an HPI branded engine, so not sure what's best, but it's dependent on your engine, transmission (2-speed vs 3-speed), tires and terrain. If your running on pavement with low profile/light street tires, you can gear taller than you could if you were running offroad with heavier/larger diameter tires.

I ran 47/17 with an LRP28S3 and LRP30S2 in my savage X. Both with the 2-speed trans and traxxas 3.8" T-Maxx tires/geode wheels. So fairly light tires and similar to the OG savage 21 tire diameter. With a teflon clutch, it would chew through the shoes in a gallon or so of running when running on grass. I put alloy ones in and check them every gallon or so to remove burs and replace the bearings.

I recently geared down to 47/16 though as at the skate parks I run at, I needed 2nd gear to come on a bit earlier and have a bit more power so I could hit the ramps at a better speed. As it was, I was hitting the jumps fairly low in the RPM range of second gear just due to the space I had to run in. I'd have to feather the throttle a lot in first so it didn't just wheelie/end up on the roof, then by the time 2nd gear kicked in, I was close to the jump, so didn't have time to pick up much more speed. So, with gearing a bit lower, it will be more prone to wheelie, but I'm hoping I can pour on the coal earlier in second to hit the jumps at a higher velocity.

If I want to go "fast", I'll run my converted e-jato or stampede 4x4 vxl on 3s. Still though, 47/16 should give me a decent top speed.

Back