too rich too lean need help please read

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_freak_123

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
:) hey guys,
a totall newbie question

which is better too rich or too lean

i no too lean will engine to overheat and break it in the long run :)

but what damage will it do to the engine if its too rich ??:)

i aint got a temp gun yet I'm waiting till my parents get paid lol

thanks in advance

Too rich is always better than too lean, just make sure your not drowning it in so much fuel that your temp is like 110. You could use the spit test I guess to check the temp it's somewhere on the forum.

Yeah run it fat (rich) if you have too, but like Sumo said, too rich will be just as harmful. Make sure you have a good smoke trail at all throttle settings and that raw fuel isn't spitting out the pipe.

wat would happen if it was like 110 would it break my mill

nah it aint raw fuel coming ou of pipe

the optium settingh is 5 whole turns out but i was running itb 6 whole turns out is this ok ??

like i said above there is no raw fuel coming out of the pipe

It won't kill it, just it will wear the motor out faster. My motor was running at like 120 with break in settings before I leaned it to get it around 200. If the cooling head feels lukewarm to touch its way to rich. Thats what mine felt like.

As long as you're not dumping raw fuel out the exhaust being rich shouldn't do any harm, you just won't have good performance and may foul out your glow plugs. It's important to get the break-in right but after that being rich will just keep the engine cool with poor fuel mileage and not very good top speed and who wants that? Being to lean on the other hand will burn up the motor and do real damage.

id rather have low fuel milage and poor speed than by a new mill

Most important thing is to have your operating temp to at least 200 degrees to prevent damage to the piston and sleeve. Low temperature will not allow the sleeve to expand and "mushroom" your piston.

Until you get the temperature gun, do the water or spit test to the cooling head. If the liquid sizzles off instantly, it's too hot. If it just sits there, it's too cold. If it sits there for 3-5 seconds beffore boiling off, you're in the general range. Watch your smoke as well. Make sure you have a good trail of smoke when running. Too much is rich, very little and you're running hot.

Just to clarify what I was saying. I didn't mean running it very rich is ok. I meant a little on the rich side won't hurt but loading up with fuel is bad. Follow what the others have said and you should be fine.

wat would happen if it was like 110 would it break my mill

nah it aint raw fuel coming ou of pipe

the optium settingh is 5 whole turns out but i was running itb 6 whole turns out is this ok ??

like i said above there is no raw fuel coming out of the pipe

No it wont kill the motor immediately but it's certainly not good to run for a long period of time.

Back