Toe, Front end alignment, and cv axle questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
First of all, how do you set the toe and make sure they are both aligned properly without a gauge?

Second, pushed all the way down, the cv pins just hang at the edge of the diffs, will these pop out?

e5e68224.jpg

Just finished installing my new pivot ball steering conversion, and before I run it I wanted to check on this.

In a crash those will pop out. They look too short. Is that the Mutilator? You should put the Jammin X2 CRT suspension and C-hubs. 10X more durable. I hate pillow ball suspension, that's just my opinion though...
Measure the steering tie rods, make them the same length, exactly. Then center your steering so the truck rolls straight and turns left/right equally.
Set your camber by measuring the upper arm links. Find a good flat surface to work on.
Camber gauges are cheap, 5 -10 bucks.
+1 degree of toe out is a good all around setting. The only way you can set the toe perfectly is with a setup station. Those are over 100 dollars.
-2 degrees of camber on all 4 corners works very well.

Too late on the C-Hubs, I just paid about $70 for the PBS after reading about it on the Ofna forums. I can move the top a-arms in, which will eliminate the cv axle problem, but then the tires will lean in alot more.

Never understood camber/caster.

Ok, so I have negative camber right now, but if I move the top A-arms in, I'll have extreme negative camber, and probably won't have much tread on the ground. I can't move the lower A-arms in, and if I cut the first hole off of the lower, then the lower is too short, and the cv would be too long to fit in.

My next question would be: can I space the diff to widen it?

You have PBS. Won't that let you screw the pivot balls in further to shorten the arm? Or is it just a pivot ball on the top or bottom arm, not both?

I'm with Olds on this one. Most pillow ball setups have a upper and lower pivot ball. You just have to adjust them properly for everything to line up.

You have PBS. Won't that let you screw the pivot balls in further to shorten the arm? Or is it just a pivot ball on the top or bottom arm, not both?

Yea, I can. I was actually thinking about that yesterday, just never got to it.

I hope you don't have to shorten the A-arms to make it work right. I have some good lightweight wheels for cheap, good traction for bashing.

I hope you don't have to shorten the A-arms to make it work right. I have some good lightweight wheels for cheap, good traction for bashing.

Lol, I shouldn't have to. Hopefully a turn or two on the bottom will take care of it.

Back