to cold still

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowking

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What is the coldest temp in which it is safe to break in a new motor

I think around 50F, but dont quote on that.

I like to wait till i can go out in a sweat shirt. Your gonna be up and down alot during the break in process, so ya might as well be comfy, right? A big ol coat would be to much in the way.

It's usually recommended to break in an engine when it's over 60º. Personally I don't like running nitro below 70º.

I broke mine in at something like 30 degrees... :D Traxxas rep said that if I was really worried, I could wrap the head in foil. As of right now the engine on my car is the least of my worries. It seems to be running just fine.

I wouldn't do it under 45-50 degrees. That's with the head wrapped. Engine temp is key to a good break-in....about 200 degrees as much as possible.

I did mine at 35 degrees, but I had the car warmed up to about 90 degrees before I started it, by setting it over a heating vent covered by a coat.... it worked fine...

I wouldn't do it under 45-50 degrees. That's with the head wrapped. Engine temp is key to a good break-in....about 200 degrees as much as possible.

I was able to maintain well over 200°. At one point, maybe in the 3/4-throttle range, the car was getting very close to 300°.

I'm not an RC expert, I'm a rank amateur. All I'm saying is, right now, the car appears to be just fine. I mean, who knows, maybe the engine will conk out before summer. I certainly hope it doesn't, but if it does I guess I'll know why.

Last edited: