Tmaxx 3.3 issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegguy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So forgive me but I am a newbie with RC trucks but I have a Tmaxx 3.3 that hasn't ran in about 10 years. I removed the EZ start glow plug wire and I'm using an igniter. I just rebuilt the carb and cleaned out all the fuel lines and everything and got it back together. After adjusting the high speed screw the truck will start but as soon as I pull off the plug igniter it dies. There is no slowly dies it's almost instantaneous. I have tried to adjust the high speed and low speed screws both directions to no avail. I noticed some "fluid" coming from the exhaust but I figured this was from the high speed screw initially.

Is the next step to change the plug or what am I doing wrong?

Fluid out the exhaust is high oil content or running rich. More than likely the plug is fouled and needs changed.

Improper tuning can also foul plugs quicker. If its been a while, grab a few.

Fluid out the exhaust is high oil content or running rich. More than likely the plug is fouled and needs changed.

Improper tuning can also foul plugs quicker. If its been a while, grab a few.
Thanks I'll start there.

I got a new plug and put it in and I have the same problem. I adjusted the high speed screw and the truck wants to take off and run but the second I pull the igniter stick off it dies. There is no sputter or slowly ramping down it's instantaneous. What am I doing wrong or should I adjust next?

Does the engine has good compression or weak compression?

Is there an easy way to tell this? The fuel is getting pushed to the engine and it revs quickly with enough to spin the tires
You can just turn the flywheel with your fingers, if it does not have much resistance, the compression is low. An other possibly is that you still have too much fuel going in. Also, what is the weather like, if it is cold, let the glow plug plugged in for 30s after it started, let the engine warm up.
You can just turn the flywheel with your fingers, if it does not have much resistance, the compression is low. An other possibly is that you still have too much fuel going in. Also, what is the weather like, if it is cold, let the glow plug plugged in for 30s after it started, let the engine warm up.
I meant possibility.

I meant possibility.
I'll check the flywheel today and I'm in central FL so quite a ways off 30 degrees weather wise.

I adjusted the high speed and low speed to the point if I leaned them out anymore the truck wouldnt run or bogged down when throttle was applied

Last edited:
I'll check the flywheel today and I'm in central FL so quite a ways off 30 degrees weather wise.

I adjusted the high speed and low speed to the point if I leaned them out anymore the truck wouldnt run or bogged down when throttle was applied
When it bogged down when you apply throttle, it is the sign LSN is too rich.
Even it is not too cold, it is good to let the engine warm up for a few extra seconds.
Even it is not too cold, it is good to let the engine warm up for a few extra seconds.

When it bogged down when you apply throttle, it is the sign LSN is too rich.
If I lean the LSN out more the truck doesn't want to start. Maybe I need to lean both the HSN and LSN? If I richen the LSN it stops bogging down and wants to take off

A member of this forum advised me to reset the needles to factory settings and start retuning. That worked for me. I had them so screwed up. I don't have the 3.3 though so I don't know what your factory settings are. I have the TMaxx 2.5. Good luck!
On my 2.5 I actually thought I had a throttle linkage issue, but the problem was all with the tuning of the engine.

Last edited:
A member of this forum advised me to reset the needles to factory settings and start retuning. That worked for me. I had them so screwed up. I don't have the 3.3 though so I don't know what your factory settings are. I have the TMaxx 2.5. Good luck!
On my 2.5 I actually thought I had a throttle linkage issue, but the problem was all with the tuning of the engine.
I had them set there after the carb rebuild and the truck wouldn't start

Here is a video of what's happening. I tried leaning the low speed (turning screw clockwise) and it didn't help

Is there something during the card rebuild I might have screwed up?

Is there something during the card rebuild I might have screwed up?

It dies when you pull the igniter ,that tells me that it is a glow plug issue ,it is fouled!
If it was a carb. issue ,it wouldn't run well with the igniter on!...😂

It dies when you pull the igniter ,that tells me that it is a glow plug issue ,it is fouled!
If it was a carb. issue ,it wouldn't run well with the igniter on!...😂
I pulled the plug and it was nice and shiny so I don't think it's fouled but I can throw a spare in

I pulled the plug and it was nice and shiny so I don't think it's fouled but I can throw a spare in

I just had that same issue ,an I though was the carb having air leaks ,it was the plug all
that time ,I changed the plug an it cured the issue ,even though the plug still glwed ,
it didn't glow hot enough!..👍😎

I just had that same issue ,an I though was the carb having air leaks ,it was the plug all
that time ,I changed the plug an it cured the issue ,even though the plug still glwed ,
it didn't glow hot enough!..👍😎
I'll swap it with another.

Is there a brand or type that's better than others?

Side question since I'm new: it sounds like the plug glows all the time but what gives it power to glow when the igniter is pulled off?

So, if you let it warm up enough, it maybe hot enough to keep it going. The plug wires is supposed to be platinum coated if I understand correctly and the explosion will keep it glow. I wouldn't use a $5 plug, I like the trusted brand like OS.