tmaxx 2.5 transmission transplant

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTx_evil

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I have a converted 2.5 tmaxx into a vxl 3s system. I keep breaking the transmission gears. So i bought the grey 3.3 transmission and got the forward only kit for it. The problem is the output shaft is bigger then the t-maxx 2.5 differential is there any kit out there for this transplant or do i have to peice it together? thank you for your help!!!!!

Just so you know, the vxl 3s is underpowered for the tmaxx. The vxl motor shaft is also small. From experience, I can say your motor rotor may snap, and we didnt get to the esc. Traxxas actually did 2 vxl3s in an emaxx sometime ago.

If its the drive shaft ends not working, maybe try one of each shaft if the spline is the same?

I'm pretty sure you can swap to 3.3 diffs also.

Welcome to the site.

Last edited:
you're gonna wanna go ahead and put the 3.3 diffs in it imho plus Chewy is right, you really need an 1/8 scale electronics set up in that kit.

I have a converted 2.5 tmaxx into a vxl 3s system. I keep breaking the transmission gears. So i bought the grey 3.3 transmission and got the forward only kit for it. The problem is the output shaft is bigger then the t-maxx 2.5 differential is there any kit out there for this transplant or do i have to peice it together? thank you for your help!!!!!

Just so you know, the vxl 3s is underpowered for the tmaxx. The vxl motor shaft is also small. From experience, I can say your motor rotor may snap, and we didnt get to the esc. Traxxas actually did 2 vxl3s in an emaxx sometime ago.

If its the drive shaft ends not working, maybe try one of each shaft if the spline is the same?

I'm pretty sure you can swap to 3.3 diffs also.

Welcome to the site.
what esc and motor do you recommend.

what esc and motor do you recommend.
I'm a fan of castle. I only owened 1/10th scale.

Greywolf however, if we have an esc or motor shortage, hes your go to.

Personally I'm a big fan of go big or go home so if it were me (I already here all the arguments about how it will obliterate the drivetrain) Id put a Castle MMX and 2200kv motor in it and then run it on whatever cell lipo it will handle and my ultimate goal would be to try and build it up to run on at least 4S if not 6S. Having said all that I've never owned a TMAXX and converted it so IDK if that recommendation is even feasible.

Personally I'm a big fan of go big or go home so if it were me (I already here all the arguments about how it will obliterate the drivetrain) Id put a Castle MMX and 2200kv motor in it and then run it on whatever cell lipo it will handle and my ultimate goal would be to try and build it up to run on at least 4S if not 6S. Having said all that I've never owned a TMAXX and converted it so IDK if that recommendation is even feasible.
I want to put in a MAMBA MONSTER X 8S, 33.6V ESC W / 2028-800KV SENSORED MOTOR this is my setup goal but I can't stop the transmission gears from stripping on a 3s system just got done putting my 3.3 revo trans in it and it already stripped a gear

I dont think youd be happy putting an 8S 5th scale system in an 8th scale nitro truck. It will never handle that kind of torque afaik. Youd be hard pressed to make it handle the 8th scale system that I mentioned on 6S.

Emaxx brushless tranny. Erevo tranny may work with modding. After that 3.3 or brushless diffs, as the shafts go, upgrade those.

I also give castle a plus.

MAMBA X, 25.2V WP SENSORED ESC AND 1406-4600KV COMBO​

i just bought this setup going to run my t-maxx on

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that combo is not gonna work on a T-Maxx conversion. That Motor is for 1/10 scale rigs, Traxxas might call that a 1/10 scale rig but its really closer to 1/8 scale than 1/10 scale. That motor is limited to 3S max lipo and limited to light 2WD off road kits weighing up to 5lbs. The Tmaxx is between 9 and 9.7lbs depending on which one you have. You'll burn that motor up with a quickness in a MAXX

1406 4600kv Specs from Castles website.

Capture.png

The Mamba X isnt as inadequate as the motor is for that kit but you're pushing the envelope with that ESC too. Mamba X Notes at the bottom of the Specs section on Castles website.
Mamba X.JPG

The Tmaxx 2.5 is the lightest of the rigs right at 9lbs. The 3.3 and the MAXX are right around 9.7lbs.
Maxx Weight.JPG

Sorry to tell you buy that's the wrong set up bud. That's for a stadium truck 2wd

The set up you want for that truck is more like the Mamba Monster X or the Mamba Monster 2 and either a Castle 1650kv, 1800kv or 2200kv.

And you also have the wrong tranns and diff. You need the 3.3 Tmaxx platform. You will keep striping gears all day.. you just can't take any truck and convert it sorry to tell you that. Did you change the drive shafts center and wheel? There's alot to do to get the conversion rite. Plus the 2.5 drive line won't handle the rite set up... sorry for the bad news but your going about it all wrong bud. And you will keep stripping gears. Next is your axles and center shafts to go. And that motor esc combo is completely wrong bud sorry.....

Sorry to tell you buy that's the wrong set up bud. That's for a stadium truck 2wd
yea i noticed after it got shipped castle is switching them the right set up out for me
And you also have the wrong tranns and diff. You need the 3.3 Tmaxx platform. You will keep striping gears all day.. you just can't take any truck and convert it sorry to tell you that. Did you change the drive shafts center and wheel? There's alot to do to get the conversion rite. Plus the 2.5 drive line won't handle the rite set up... sorry for the bad news but your going about it all wrong bud. And you will keep stripping gears. Next is your axles and center shafts to go. And that motor esc combo is completely wrong bud sorry.....
i've already upgrade the the center and front and back drive shafts to steel ones. the gear box was the last thing to get upgraded. its my first time i get it. and i talked to castle creations I'm getting a diffrent motor. this is all experimental for me.

Last edited:
yea i noticed after it got shipped castle is switching them the right set up out for me

i've already upgrade the the center and front and back drive shafts to steel ones. the gear box was the last thing to get upgraded. its my first time i get it. and i talked to castle creations I'm getting a diffrent motor. this is all experimental for me.
Yeah a conversion takes alot of research and time and patience. It took me a while to do mine. Well I built it up from the chassis.. I got the castle mamba monster 2 and 2200kv running 4s. It's a blast. I'm glad I did the build.. what set up did they set you up with.. the gear I'm running are 20 pinon 54spur. If you got any questions or need some help with something just post it up here. Will help if I can 👍👍

and i talked to castle creations I'm getting a diffrent motor. this is all experimental for me.
I hope you're getting a Bigger ESC too and not just the motor. If not you're going to be limited to 4S and you're gonna have to watch the ESC temp like a hawk and hope it doesn't release the magic blue smoke.

I hope you're getting a Bigger ESC too and not just the motor. If not you're going to be limited to 4S and you're gonna have to watch the ESC temp like a hawk and hope it doesn't release the magic blue smoke.
Castle MMX and 2200kv motor

Not sure if I welcomed you here or not @HTx_evil if not, welcome. :)
There is some pretty sharp nitro guy's here so don't be afraid to ask questions because they are willing to answer anything.
I can't, cus frog brains are pretty small....:cool: