Tired of the stock Emaxx Chassis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I have been fighting issues with getting my battery packs to fit into my Emaxx. The stock chassis battery tray is just too small to fit even my 4200 sport packs without a shoe horn and alot of luck. So I figured I would just upgrade the chassis plate so that it may accept the battery packs better. I am looking to just upgrade the chassis plate itself. I am not looking to have to upgrade anything else to do this. I just spent a small fortune to upgrade everything else to RPM.... and MIP at all four corners and the center shaft. I also would like to still be able to use my New Era Roll bar as well. Does such a thing exist? I looked at the UE chassis, and that is just way to expensive, and I looked at the Gorilla Maxx and it looks like it strecthes the chassis and I would need to upgrade the center shaft. Anyway I was looking at ideas as I am completly fed up with having to force packs into the stock chassis. Thanks for your help guys.

Tom

Last edited:
What type of packs are you trying to use?

If you are using sport style packs where the batts are attached end to end with plastic covers on each end then you will have issues trying to make them fit.

You need to either take the plastic end covers and shrink off or re-configure the packs so they are side by side like you would use in your TC4.

I would first take the covers and wrap off and see if that works. You can then put a little shoe-goo between the cells to hole the pack together. Best way is to just re-configure the packs to side by side. Even if you upgrade to the gorilla maxx chassis you are going to have to do this.

the G-maxx chassis should use the stock rear drive shaft...they gain the extra by lowering the tranny position, this makes the axle ride more level and takes up the difference....I just got an E-maxx too and am wanting to do the gorilla chassis sooooooo freakin bad.....

Hey Rob and Plaid,

I am using Intellect 4200 packs. They do not fit very well in the stock Emaxx chassis... so I cut them open and soldered them side by side. They are still too tight. Now the battery bars get in the way. So it would seem I am at square one once again. LOL Sorry it took me so long to respond back I was not able to get back online last night. Any suggestions guys.

Hey Plaid, the gorilla maxx setup is very nice.. but it is still just a bit too pricey. We shall see... I may have not choice! LOL

Tom

Right. The 4200 cells are slightly larger than the 3800 cells I was using while I had the stock chassis. Sounds like you may need to do some dremel work on the chassis to make them fit.

I had this same problem, and I did whip out the dremel and fixed it. As you can see in the pics, I dremeled out both of the shoulders at each end of the batteries, dremeled the switch mount, and then installed the straps. I hand made the straps, with two $0.17 buckles and some strips of double sided velcro, along with some stitchwork. All in all, it took me about 3 total hours worth of time to do, and it required less than $5 worth of materials.

I'm not on this forum much, so if you have any questions or would like to send me a chassis to mod, contact me via email at [email protected]. After receiving a chassis, I can do all of the modifications and install the strap system in about 3 days, so 1.5 week turnaround is not outlandish to expect.

This system allows for the use of larger lipo batteries, 8.4V or greater hump style battery packs, and 6 cell packs in SxS or stick configuration without binding the wires and stripping the insulation off of the battery wires at the stock battery strap posts. It also sheds some weight, and will have absolutely NO problem holding any batteries that you may have in. :breakdown

Here's some pics:

IMG_0853.gif

IMG_0852.gif

IMG_0851.gif

IMG_0850.gif

IMG_0849.gif

IMG_0862.gif

Right. The 4200 cells are slightly larger than the 3800 cells I was using while I had the stock chassis. Sounds like you may need to do some dremel work on the chassis to make them fit.

I am afraid you might be right. I hate having to hack up something nice just to make it work though. It seems to me that they would make it so that batteries would fit, but for whatever reason they do not. I guess the 4200's have not been out long enough for manufactuerers(sp?) to build chassis to accept them. The emaxx was out way before 4200 packs so I guess that explains that.

Masterchief, it looks like you have come up with a great solution. The only problem with my setup is that I need the stock battery posts to mount the New Era roll bar that I have. Thanks for offering to help though.

Well guys, I guess I will have to look real hard to see what material needs to go. You can always take plastic away, but once it is gone... you aint putting it back. So measure twice cut once.

Has anybody else had the issue with the New Era bar, as well as having issues with batteries to fit?

Tom