Tips & Qs On Using Paint Mask Designs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay I am curious to try my hand at airbrushing on my SCT-R Raptor lid that will be here next week with some skull paint masks & hopefully a custom paint mask from Lloyd (slowngreen). Just wondering if anyone has any useful websites where I can learn how to properly use these masks or if they are used just like a stencil where I place, tape and spray? I have an idea to make these skulls kind of fade into the black I will be using in gray so its real "ghostly" like then will be doing either my green plague effect in red or red mirror look (using ceran crumpled up and bloching an area then backing with black). But yeah any tips, advice or how tos on using paint masks would be great!

Thanks in advance guys!

ALWAYS make sure the mask is pushed down at all edges air tight or the paint will bleed under them, which sucks if you didnt want that.

That's about the best advice. Make sure the edges are good and tight, pressed down well, or you will get bleeds. Also make sure to clean the inside of the lid with da first to remove any mold release, this will help not only the masks seal better but also help the paint adhere better.

A little scuffing with a Scotch-Brite pad before washing but after window masking also helps the paint bite onto the shell better. And be sure to press the edges down again after you think they're good just to make sure.

I assume you are using vinyl adhesive masks, right? It's pretty straightforward. Clean the inside of the body with soap and water. Rinse it good and dry it. Try to use a lint free towel so you don't get little bits all over the inside. Then decide where you want the designs. Use transfer tape to move the mask from the paper to the body. That'll let you keep the mask in it's proper shape as you place it on the body. Once they're in place, burnish the edges with something like a penny or fingernail. That means pressing the edges down so no paint will bleed. Then you're pretty much ready to paint!

I assume you are using vinyl adhesive masks, right? It's pretty straightforward. Clean the inside of the body with soap and water. Rinse it good and dry it. Try to use a lint free towel so you don't get little bits all over the inside. Then decide where you want the designs. Use transfer tape to move the mask from the paper to the body. That'll let you keep the mask in it's proper shape as you place it on the body. Once they're in place, burnish the edges with something like a penny or fingernail. That means pressing the edges down so no paint will bleed. Then you're pretty much ready to paint!

No, I will be getting a set from SNG though here soon I hope, but mainly I will be using the handheld airbrush shields with skull cutouts in them

---------- Post added at 7:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:44 PM ----------

I guess I was totally wrong, not a shield, an airbrush stencil! Sorry folks for the confusion!