tips for removing the front and rear bearing on picco .26?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

down4thakrown

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
could i use a bernzomatic torch to heat up? or is a oven the best route. whats a good tool to use to press out the 2 bearings?

electic stove top worked perfectly for me 2 days ago.... take it all apart. tap it on a wooden board and the main should just fall out. and use wooded dowel or something and tap out the front. cool down, clean and then heat up again to put new bearings in.

btw heat it up to the temp you normally run it at, should do the job. otherwise heat it up more and try again.

Last edited:
Hudy makes a tool for removing and inserting engine bearings. Thats the easiest way. less chance of messing up your bearrings too. In the mean time I know the oven method works.....not sure about using a torch....I dont think I would personally

ya i think i screwed up the first bearing i put in cuz i just kinda beat it in. with no heat. do i let it cool down before i take the bearings out? or do i do it while its hot?

Heat engine block and remove the bearings immediately after heating (wear some gloves), clean the block bearing recess of any build up/debris.

Chill the new bearings in the fridge; heat the block and install the new chilled bearings (open/un-sealed side to the inside of the engine). While still heated install the crankshaft, flywheel collet, flywheel and flywheel nut to properly align and seat the bearings.

sweet, what absout the brass bushing in the back plate. i noticed the short crank has play and moves inside of this. should i replace that? or do i have to buy a whole new back plate?

The starter shaft bushing is pressed in, unless you have a decent press and can get the correct size bushing it would be best to just purchase a new backplate (starter shaft should be replaced along with the backplate in most instances).
It depends on how much wear there is if they need replacement.

Back