Thoughts on the Traxxas 3.3 Powerplant?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMGT55

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I've just purchased a Jato 3.3 and i was under the influence that they were all crap. I've owned two other trucks with 3.3's on them and they SUCKED. They were both used. So? Did i get a factory freak or? I mean this thing doesn't get above 210 degrees and i havent have to change the tuning since after break in and i've run about 19 tanks through it in 3 days and it runs GREAT. No problems with tuning or running or anything i run it very rich and still get grerat wheelies and stuff.

P.S how hard would it be to switch to 30% trinity fuel? I've been running 20% traxxas fuel and now i want to run 30% because the 3.3 is rated for 33% so? Anyone HELP!!

I've heard good things about the 3.3s and tuning, so I think you are right in pocket there. Also, if you broke the motor in on 20% I'd stick with that, especially since you are seeing such reliable performance! :)

Thinks alot. I really want to switch to a better fuel and a higher nitro content. If i were to switch would i have to run it through a tank idle first?

First off, the 3.3 is noy "rated" for 33% nitro. typically, 20% is good for that size engine but you can run higher or lower if you wish. I suggest running a higher percentage Traxxas fuel if you want to run more nitro. TRX engines like TRX fuel IMO. You don't need to do anything special aside from retune when you make the change.

i've always had good luck with my 2.5's and 3.3's with tuning. In my experience, after you get it dialed in it is very reliable.

My 3.3 loved 30% nitro, it made a lot more power at cooler temps.
There is only one problem with the 3.3, the bearings suck and do not last. As soon as they start acting finicky and blowing plugs, you can bet it's time for a set of bearings. Maybe even a rod if you ran it too rich. Mine ran beautifully at 250-270F.

Last edited:
The Jato is a light truck. If you ran the 3.3 in another platform and it seemed sluggish compared to the it, then I would say that's your answer. Maybe lean her up just a bit and get it up to the 230's.

gotcha. I will be doing the fuel change today and ill let you know how it takes it.Hopefully theres no problem. But we'll see. What a re some websites that i could use to buy mods for the 3.3? Carb,piston,sleeve,crank,etc? I want my jato to get around 70+

My 3.3 is running 20% and my temps and power are great. I am new to this but I have read thats its better to break in and run the same fuel and not change back and forth. So far I have ran almost a gallon through it since break in with no tuning issues and loads of power, but like someone already said I think you got it right and I think I did to. I ain't changing anything till it breaks.

Scott

Thanx. Now my ez-start motor wont turn when i have a glow plug in. I thought maybe it was flooded but it isnt does anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanx. Now my ez-start motor wont turn when i have a glow plug in. I thought maybe it was flooded but it isnt does anyone know what could be wrong?

Heat the cooling head with a blow dryer. The stick pack might be low too.

shes great now thanks. What kinda small mods could i do to increase reliability and performance?

RPM arms.
RPM front bumper/skid.

I made a brace for the tops of the front turnbuckles to tie them together. Apparently people were breaking the ears off where they mount to the bulkhead. I did that before mine broke.

I also made one for the rear, but it was a PITA and looks like crap. Seems to help though. Haven't snapped the ears off the rear bulkhead since I made the plate.

Getting an alloy arm on the brake post along with a 90oz t/b servo really helped my brakes as well.

Back