Thinner...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbob

WWJD
Reaction score
Did some reinforcement on the lower half of the rustler body. The shoe goo was a little too thick for my taste so i tried thinning it with mineral spirits. The mineral spirits didn't do squat to thin the goo, just made a gooey mess. Next i tried thinning the goo with some acetone, acetone didn't work much better, the goo mostly just coagulated into clumps. I was able to complete the task with the goop soup i created, just wasn't as smooth or light as i was wanting. Next time i'm going to thin some silicone caulking and give that a try. Also acetone and plastic doesn't play well together, it curled up the body a bit... :hehe:
gamblin01rs.jpg

gamblin04rs.jpg

gamblin07rs.jpg

gamblin05rs.jpg

bigboytoy01rs.jpg

Did it just eat the paint, or did the mesh texturize the surface with the acetone?
The latter, didn't harm the paint. The blue smearing on the inside of the body is blue ink from a highlighter marker...

Anyone ever experiment around with using fiberglass to re-enforce the underside of a body? Seems like that would work but I'm not sure what all you need to make it work.

Oh? Even if it was just 1 or 2 thin coats? That stinks. They need to just make these indestructible lids for everything lol
Fiberglass would be so heavy. And if you put it on very thin, it's just going to crack. It is pretty brittle when used in thin layers.

Shoe Goo can be thinned with toluene or xylene, but be careful using either of these. They are both pretty bad chit to play around with. Shoe Goo has Toluene in it also, so don't breath it too much when using it. Especially if you live in California.

Back