Thinking of jumping in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also with the right setup you'll have unbelieveable run time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard of people running for 30 mins or more on one charge.

Thanks,
Kinda like the noise though :)
just wondering can you do a engine swap down the road? Like if i went electric and decided i wanted nitro could i put a nitro engine in there or would i have to rebuild the whole thing?

Thanks,
Kinda like the noise though :)
just wondering can you do a engine swap down the road? Like if i went electric and decided i wanted nitro could i put a nitro engine in there or would i have to rebuild the whole thing?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's only possible to convert Nitro to electric. Not the other way around. I had the same problem like yours before I got in to the hobby. I couldn't decide between nitro and electric but since I love the noise and realism of nitro I ended up with a used revo 3.3. I spend a lot of money fixing the previous owner mistakes and ended up the same price for a brand new one. Anyway I learned a lot though and it was fun.

It's more common for a nitro to go electric, but either way it's rarely ever worth the money to do it.

Also with the right setup you'll have unbelieveable run time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard of people running for 30 mins or more on one charge.

I ran my mini Slash around for half an hour and it was still blazing. The batteries charged the next day in 15 minutes.:) Killa!

i was skeptical about getting a nitro too, i was either gonna go with the e-maxx or t-maxx, i went with the t-maxx and i love it, just be prepared to replace stock parts they will usually break, at least on my t-maxx they did, the only downfall to nitro is break in but this is about as frustrating and time consuming as charging batteries. if i were you id go with a nitro

Uh. My first truck was a nitro. Revo 3.3 actually. A five outta five on Traxxas skill level. I broke it, I broke it alot. I put two motors it. Busted the upper a-arm and axle carrier the first day I drove it(2nd tank of fuel). You started this post set on a truck. Nitro actually. If it wasn't for all this posting goin on, you could had it broke in and blasting around the bash spot laughing your ass off have a blast. Your gonna break poop so suck it up and get what you want. If ya got 500-600 bux laying around to buy a "toy" (that's what people that don't know call it). Then go buy buy the "toy". Your gonna break stuff on the truck, plastic parts that'll break on any truck that goes 50mph, so why waste your time upgrading some cheap truck. Get what you want. Go big man. If ya want a revo, get a revo. Traxxas is def. the way to go. Any Traxxas, I got my first one in January this year. Now, I have 3. My revo, my sons rustler(got it used 100 got like fifty into tires, some new clutch pins) and a stampede (got it for 75) cleaned it, and sealed the motor. Bitxh fired right up. I love these "toys". They make me smile, and they frustrate me at the same time. Sorry so much, but it boils down to, What do you want?
So go pick it up and start bashing!

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I see your point i just don't want to get in over my head. Although i can't see it being to hard... I've worked on cars since i was young and my COD about keeping my stuff looking good would pay off. It's not so much the money it's the cost of running it. I understand breaking parts all the time but i'm wondering if the cost to run it is more then i think it will.
Btw i checked with my LHS and they carry alot of Traxxas, Losi and alittle HPI
EDIT: Are they glow plugs junk? Fine? Or start with a better one until it's broken in then i can use these?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LM0867&P=ML

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I see your point i just don't want to get in over my head. Although i can't see it being to hard... I've worked on cars since i was young and my COD about keeping my stuff looking good would pay off. It's not so much the money it's the cost of running it. I understand breaking parts all the time but i'm wondering if the cost to run it is more then i think it will.
Btw i checked with my LHS and they carry alot of Traxxas, Losi and alittle HPI
EDIT: Are they glow plugs junk? Fine? Or start with a better one until it's broken in then i can use these?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LM0867&P=ML

I wouldn't skimp on glow plugs. You get what you pay for.....usually. It depends on the engine too.

Ok O'donnells are pretty good plugs. So are O.S. and Mccoy.

Saltwater4Life, I have recently got into RC trucks (about 2 months now) didnt know any thing about it. I went to hobby shop to get a servo for my micro heli and left with a T Maxx 3.3 4908 ( imagine the look on my wifes face when I got home ). My only regret was not getting into hobby sooner, sure I have spent alot learning and pushing it to the max but the smile on my face is priceless. The learning curve is big, alot to learn and take in, but learning is allways good. I had mine for 3 days and let 3 of buddys drive it now 2 of them have Revos and 1 has a Savage xl. As for cost of running it's not to bad (fuel and couple glow plugs a gallon) after the intial start up, but when you crash hard or jump it bad, your gonna break stuff. Its fairly cheap to fix for the most part $10 to $20 depending on what you break. I have been slowly upgrading every time I break something, plus I really enjoy the tweaking and fixing part of the hobby a couple beers some music and my truck = good times lol.My friend that got the revo got his 5 year old boy a stampede and its really cool but not the same level and 1/10th & 1/8th scale trucks. Whatever you do you'll smile, good luck with your pick and have fun.

Thanks,
Thats what i wasn't sure how often you need stuff like if i needed glow plugs every hour of running it or what
I was reading some reviews on nitro rc and i read after 4-5 gallons you have to rebuild most engines? What do they mean by that?

if your hobby shop has any team associated parts, i would get an RC10GT2. these things are mad fast. i jsut bought a new one afew weeks ago. everything i have is team associated. they are good and strong. as for glow plugs, they last awhile if you have a well tuned engine. i dont go through them realy fast. and with the maintanace, as long as you take the 5 minuts to clean your truck every week or so you should be set to go. i always do a complete tear down of my truck and engine over the winter while I'm not running it...just to get everything 100% clean and to make sure everything is in good condition.

i found that by ordering the RTR through team associated rather than from tower hobbies you can save $20-$30. i ordered mine as a refurbished (pre owned but factory inspected and rebuilt) i got it RTR for $230-ish

I just checked the Team Associated site and they're discontinued, But my LHS didn't mention that brand. So i think my best bed is probably the nitro sport. Thanks for the info though, I read some people make the work of taking care of them such a big deal but it doesn't seem like to much; tune,fill,run,drain,clean,check parts,afterrun oil,put away.

Yea, you got it not much work 10 minutes tops after running for awhile. I dont even bother with after run oil if I am going to be running it with in a couple days. Good luck with your truck.

cool, I'm sure like any hobby it takes time to learn and then i'll have it down. So anything else i should think to add if i go with the nitro sport? I got like fuel,after oil,fuel filter, air filter, glow plugs,fuel bottle and the car :D Ugh it adds up... Makes me wonder about the electric...

Last edited:
the electrics add up to...trust me...bigger motor, lipo bateries, lipo charger, motor lathe (if its brushed), new brushes every month, better speed controll...etc. i have both electric and nitro. yes the nitro is a little bit slower, and its a little bit of work, but i love nitro 10x more than electric...make your purchase and dont think back...not untill you want a second rig anyways lol