Think I'm running too hot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obochoman

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I recently rebuilt and cleaned and old .16 I haven't used in a year or so and am having trouble getting a good tune. I think I am running a bit hot because my glow plug starts to steam when I go flat out for a few seconds (I mostly dive in fields and rural roads). I have this ryobi temp gun that was super cheap and I think it's reading is way off. After the motor had stopped and the glow plug had stopped smoking I took the temp and it read 170 degrees F, then I did the spit test but there was no sizzle whatsoever. So am I running too lean? Or is it normal for the glow plug to steam when you run flat out? How to I tell if I'm running too hot/lean or too Rich (as fuel sometimes comes out of my exhaust)?

Any advice helps!:D

If you hear chewbacca it's to lean and proper running temp for a nitro is 240-280f

Do the spit test right after you bring the rig in from a high speed run… If it sizzles away almost immediately, its too hot, if it just sits there looking like spit, too cool.
The smoke you see may be from excess after run oil on the cooling head or a loose glow plug/leaking plug gasket.

I do use a lot of after run oil... Also, after running it I shut it down and got up close and heard a faint bubbling sizzling sound, possibly an air leak? I'm adding some gasket paste to see if that does anything. Also, the piston sleeve doesn't seem to offer much resistance, possibly a worn sleeve?

I was planning on buying a new engine for it this summer, just thought I could squeeze some extra life out of it. As for a new engine I was thinking a .18 hip or associated motor for around $100.

What is a good running temp for an engine? I've done some searching and the stuff I have found varies between 200 to 300 degrees. That seems kinda hot, but it is an engine I guess.

Water boils at 212*F

.....And?
The spit test is primitive at best, but "spit" should sizzle off in about 3-4 seconds or more.

Good running temps are between 200°f and 270°f, but this is very general. If your piston and sleeve offer little or no resistance then I'd say you're running it too lean in order to make it run in at all.

.....And?
The spit test is primitive at best, but "spit" should sizzle off in about 3-4 seconds or more.

Good running temps are between 200°f and 270°f, but this is very general. If your piston and sleeve offer little or no resistance then I'd say you're running it too lean in order to make it run in at all.

I think he was saying that you can kinda use that as a base temp. So you know it's at least 212F. But I'm not sure.

Sent from my Pipboy-3000

Does your motor sound like chewy from Star Wars after a high speed run? If it does its lean. Don't tune for temp, tune for smoke and sound. Also set your idle gap. A broke in motor won't have much resistance when you turn the flywheel.

A small bit of "spit" will quickly boil if the head is above 212F. Its a simple baseline (thank you non) You can't just say spit test without the added science to back it up. My bad for not giving more detail. My intention was that my post followed snooks, obocho snuck one in first.

It wasn't my intention to seem like a prick I just didn't understand where you were going with that....my bad.

Back