Think I Found My New Hobby Store!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRXaddict

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I know this is maybe a bit of a useless thread in a way but i just went to a hobby shop I've never been to looking for nitro fuel and found some odonnel 30% for 25 bucks !! If i would have had the extra 25 bucks i would have bought a second gallon !!

I've been hearing so much good stuff about odonnel so i switched, I know its not necessarily the best way to go to for changing from 20 to 30 % but honestly.. i just bought this fuel because i couldnt believe the price. He had some good name brand fuels in there for unbelievable prices. And I've been looking into getting a nitro copter and he has a helicopter and plane simulator in the back he lets you practice for free. I gotta say, i think i found my new hobby shop from now on.

Just for a comparison, my old hobby shop was hobby people. I'm not sure about everyone elses local hobby people stores but mine was horrible.

1. fuel minimum was about 45 a gal

2. When i tried to buy 30% from them they argued with me and said "no dont buy 30% your engine will blow" (why stock 30% if your going to tell customers who buy it, their engine will blow ??? horrible salesmen skills)

3. They had a very limited nitro car/truck stock. I know electric is taking over but there are some people that enjoy nitro like me. My new hobby shop has an even mix of nitro and electric vehicles on display.

I saw for the first time in his shop a losi ten sct nitro with the ROSS system and i must say it looked very nice.

Anyways, to make this not a useless thread whats your favorite hobby store ?

Is there any negative things about it ?

Are the prices affordable ?

Does it have good customer service ?

Mine is called CrossRoads, it seems to monopolize the area for hobby shops. They have close to all Traxxas nitro models and some HPI nitros (savage firestorm) They sell only the best fuel! Byrons!! for 33 bucks for 20 percent. They have enough parts to build at least three rigs of every kind of model (minus engines and pipes, which are available upon request and they order it for you) They also have planes (mainly electric) and a fully serviceable workshop with skilled mechanics! never tried it as I'm sure labor for this as everything else is close to 30 to 50 bucks an hour plus parts, and its just easier to do it yourself. They have models to build, lots of accessories, an RC board to post for sale ads and local races, and an indoor track for mini 16th scale electrics! They are a Ma and Pa store, something that is hard to find these days (due to Obama!) and they give you peace of mind on just about everything whether it be and upgrade or a massive overhaul to something as simple as a broken turnbuckle or as serious as a broken connecting rod! Lots of radios in stock, as well as hobby tools, tires, props, etc. Every other shop that has opened in town, even ones across town! have gone out of business, simply because this one has been around since the first gen RC10s and they do it all! His wife even runs an arts and crafts area in the front of the store so your wife/girlfriend is not bored to death when you drag her into the hobby shop when your out and about! Lots of vintage rcs in there on display too!

ODonnell fuel is as good as any. It's a good blend of oils. 30% might take a little more tuning. I used to run ODonnell's 20% and my engines were a little "doggie". Now I'm running Byron's 25% and I like it better. It brought new life into my engines. I'm just bashing. I'm sure people who race have a different opinion.

ODonnell fuel is as good as any. It's a good blend of oils. 30% might take a little more tuning. I used to run ODonnell's 20% and my engines were a little "doggie". Now I'm running Byron's 25% and I like it better. It brought new life into my engines. I'm just bashing. I'm sure people who race have a different opinion.

+1 on Byron's! I blend every gallon with a quart of trinity 35 percent to get a 22 to 23 percent blend!

Mine is called CrossRoads, it seems to monopolize the area for hobby shops. They have close to all Traxxas nitro models and some HPI nitros (savage firestorm) They sell only the best fuel! Byrons!! for 33 bucks for 20 percent. They have enough parts to build at least three rigs of every kind of model (minus engines and pipes, which are available upon request and they order it for you) They also have planes (mainly electric) and a fully serviceable workshop with skilled mechanics! never tried it as I'm sure labor for this as everything else is close to 30 to 50 bucks an hour plus parts, and its just easier to do it yourself. They have models to build, lots of accessories, an RC board to post for sale ads and local races, and an indoor track for mini 16th scale electrics! They are a Ma and Pa store, something that is hard to find these days (due to Obama!) and they give you peace of mind on just about everything whether it be and upgrade or a massive overhaul to something as simple as a broken turnbuckle or as serious as a broken connecting rod! Lots of radios in stock, as well as hobby tools, tires, props, etc. Every other shop that has opened in town, even ones across town! have gone out of business, simply because this one has been around since the first gen RC10s and they do it all! His wife even runs an arts and crafts area in the front of the store so your wife/girlfriend is not bored to death when you drag her into the hobby shop when your out and about! Lots of vintage rcs in there on display too!

Sounds like a great place !! they didnt have byrons there i dont think, i sort of just saw the odonnell jug. I figure regardless its better than what I've been running *traxxas* I ran out of my trinity fuel awhile ago and all i had left was traxxas sitting around. I also saw strike team fuel but i havent heard anyone really talking about it. I dont mind trying different fuel companies, just like odonnell I've heard nothing but good things about that stuff.

Odd, most people have told me the opposite. How ever i guess everyone has different standards that can really determine how they feel the fuel performs.

I'm just happy to be switching from traxxas.. I mean traxxas hasnt really ever been bad fuel per say but usually other name brand fuels seem to just run more crisp than traxxas.

my local hobby store is Ebay ! they stock everything! every brand, every model, trucks, heli's planes ect..... and it gets shipped right to my door! ( i live in the sticks, i have no LHS) LOL !

as for fuel i have to drive a long ways to buy fuel, still cheaper than having it shipped! i was running Odonnels or Torco and both were great, than i bought some VP race fuel 20% and all my rigs have more snap, and hold a better tune.

my local hobby store is Ebay ! they stock everything! every brand, every model, trucks, heli's planes ect..... and it gets shipped right to my door! ( i live in the sticks, i have no LHS) LOL !

as for fuel i have to drive a long ways to buy fuel, still cheaper than having it shipped! i was running Odonnels or Torco and both were great, than i bought some VP race fuel 20% and all my rigs have more snap, and hold a better tune.

Same here !! haha ebay is where i order my parts. My local hobby store is about 40 miles away one way so i guess its not a local hobby store.. But thats about the distance i need to drive to buy fuel.. But yeah parts... and even trucks, i buy on ebay.

I bought my savage 4.6 on ebay for 440.00 where as hobby people wanted about 560 out the door.... gotta ove what you save on ebay. Surprisingly though i was looking at some vehicles at that hobby shop. They had some good comparable prices to ebay.. a couple dollars cheaper than ebay infact. But its always nice getting parts at your door.

Fuel I go local, also last minute parts. There is actually one local shop to me that is just RC.

Wow, that sounds like a fabulous shop. Is it in Virginia? I am in the DC area. Is it in NoVa? I would love to check this place out!

Wow, that sounds like a fabulous shop. Is it in Virginia? I am in the DC area. Is it in NoVa? I would love to check this place out!

It would be about a 5 or 6 hour drive maybe more, Its been a while since I've been through the DC area. But it's down in the southwestern corner of the state, it's in Roanoke.

---------- Post added at 6:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:18 PM ----------

The last time I was in the DC area was for the 2008 Legg Mason ATP 250 event there in august before the US Open. Went to go see this new up and comer, (not so new now) John Isner! It took me 7 hours to get to my hotel in the DC area because I hit it on the beginning of rush hour.

I also use Odonnell's...Costs me about 28 bucks a gallon. My LHS has a good selection of stuff at decent prices but I only trust the guy that works on the RCs for advice. Bad part is its a good solid 35-40 minutes from me so I dont go there often, its easier to buy off the internet. I only go there if I need something quick or if I need fuel.

I also use Odonnell's...Costs me about 28 bucks a gallon. My LHS has a good selection of stuff at decent prices but I only trust the guy that works on the RCs for advice. Bad part is its a good solid 35-40 minutes from me so I dont go there often, its easier to buy off the internet. I only go there if I need something quick or if I need fuel.

My problem with fuel online is it all seems to be about 40 bucks not shipped.. Maybe i dont have a good source but I've looked at a lot of random places for fuel. I've still not ever ordered fuel online but just for example, the fuel i got for 28 or round of 30. On ebay its 10 bucks a quart, and most other fuels i look at just seem to be around 50 bucks shipped..

Looking on some other sites i was noticing they were only selling fuel in 3 gallon packages. Usually i only go to hobby shops when i actually happen to be in the area and have some extra dough to spend. I never actually drive a whole 80 mile round trip just to buy fuel, just not worth it to me. But i just happen to be down there often because of school so it works out i guess.

God what a waste of forum space... I mean I wish I could have unread this thread... Haha just kidding man :hehe: lol thought I would throw some Killer in the mix! :D

Anywhere within economical fuel costs yet save me money on things I need, I am all for it.

My problem with fuel online is it all seems to be about 40 bucks not shipped.. Maybe i dont have a good source but I've looked at a lot of random places for fuel. I've still not ever ordered fuel online but just for example, the fuel i got for 28 or round of 30. On ebay its 10 bucks a quart, and most other fuels i look at just seem to be around 50 bucks shipped..

Looking on some other sites i was noticing they were only selling fuel in 3 gallon packages. Usually i only go to hobby shops when i actually happen to be in the area and have some extra dough to spend. I never actually drive a whole 80 mile round trip just to buy fuel, just not worth it to me. But i just happen to be down there often because of school so it works out i guess.

I think you misunderstood my statement. I was saying I only go to my LHS for fuel and parts I need same day....I buy everything else off the internet cuz yeah buying nitro online is expensive.

I think you misunderstood my statement. I was saying I only go to my LHS for fuel and parts I need same day....I buy everything else off the internet cuz yeah buying nitro online is expensive.

ahh ok, i guess when i saw the sentence that said about buying it online is easier is where i sort of mixed up the gas or parts. I too only buy parts and accessories online its the best way to shop.

My favorite is Mikes Hobby shop in Carrollton TX. (about 30 min drive time from home) Anyways the store is about 4000 sq ft, The left side is all aircraft and the right is all ground based. They don't stock a lot of new models but will order anything requested. However, they do buy/sell used rigs, they usually have anywhere from 10-25 used rigs in showcases. The owner Mike has also been mentioned in a Discovery channel show " Carpet Racers". But the best part is that the store is only half the building! The other half of the building houses an indoor carpet track, an indoor dirt track(electric only), pit area, and a small restaurant. Outside is a decent sized dirt track for nitro. The tracks are free to use anytime the store is open except Saturdays when the shop hosts competition for prize money! Yeah!
I am so very fortunate. :D

http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com/

Sounds like a great place to even just hang out !!!