The purchase for a new server has been made!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well after spending the last two weeks in Tahiti drinking most of the fund raiser money away I thought it was about time to come back and spend the 85cents I had left on a new server. :D

The purchase has been made and this is what we've got coming to us:

AMD Barton 3000+
2.5GB DDR RAM
2x 36GB 10,000rpm SCSI Hard Drives
100Mbps upload link (for those really really busy days)
1,000GB bandwidth!

Total initial cost: $749.00

This is a HUGE improvement over what we are currently running on now. I just finished placing the order now and server setup takes about 3-4 days for them to build, test, and install core software on it plus another 2-3 days to move the site over and get everyone off this server and on the new one - so hopefully by this time next week everyone will see the huge difference.

Everyone that donated money to the fund raiser - Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can not thank you enough, without your help there would be no way this would be possible this soon. I would also like to thank everyone that signed up as a supporting member, you funds next month will go toward renewing the forum software here as it's been expired since last September. After which we'll be upgrading to the newest version which should help speed just slightly but also fix some security holes.

Once the move is completed work on re-doing the site will continue, such as revamping and reorganizing the image gallery. As well as getting some new contests and give aways started for supporting members.

Again thanks to everyone that has been involved with helping RCNT move from our current to our new server which we'll be on very very soon.

-Michael

Awesome! I'm really seeing a slowdown today so I'm stoked that it's ready to go. Good work, Wood...

That is awsome Woodie. And it took less than one month! Thats great. There are some extremely generous people here and I want to thank them as well!

Thanks again to everybody!

Thats Awsome! Congrats on the new "big block" server! Its just like the hobby itself, got to keep upgrading.

great news Woodie, I hope Tahiti was fun. I see you changed avatars, didn't want us to see the tan eh.

man i am feeling the slowness bad today takes like 3 mins for a my post to show up thank god for this upgrade

Great news. The timing couldn't be better. Today it's been as slow as it was when I was on the pitiful cable service offered by Comcast in this area.

GREAT NEWS! but does this mean that there's also going to be some serious downtime during the switch over? OH BOY, I gotta get myself ready for the RCNT withdrawal symptoms!

Can't wait. Just in time too. Today it went so slow I ended up just clicking off instead of waiting for the thread to come up.

I know robmob and I am very sorry to hear that. It seems with each passing day the site continues to get slower and slower. This has been a big learning experience for me in all aspects and one myself and all members have paid greatly for.

I fully trust the new server will be greater difference then light and day. The order is in now it's just a matter of days.

Diver - Don't go far, we're working with another company as well to help make the move as seemless as possible. We're hoping to make downtime to as little as possible if any at all.

-Michael

i was on this morning and then everything seems like it dropped. it got really slow.i though my dsl was getting eady to give out again... i hope the downtime isnt't like that time when the site was down for the whole evening that was horrible.

Great News Michael,

It is great to hear you are bringing RCNT to a new level.

Good Luck!

sLY

Give a day warning before u shutdown the site.

I can't wait. It's been gettin realy bad here lately I've noticed. And I'm on Adelphia Cable and it's almost NEVER slow. Thanks to everbody for pitchin in and thanks Woodie for keepin 'er goin.

That's awesome. You know, I hadn't really noticed the site slowing down until the last few days. Now it's gotten HELLA slow. It'll be great when the new server is put in place

[Homer] MMMM, AMD Barton...... [/Homer]

That's the same CPU I want for my PC. :D Nice choice.