The Newest Scale Project.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamz9561

Proud Short Bus Rider
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I posted on Friday that I had picked up my latest project: A Vaterra Ascender. I've been wanting to build a new scaler and this looked to be a good choice. I was so eager to start this one that I couldn't wait to tear into the build. I really liked the looks of this one because it wasn't a Jeep and I really liked the body style of this Blazer (1986).

I'm not really into doing build threads, but like sharing the results of what I do in the "Skunkworks". So I managed to get it about 90% done before I needed to go back to the lhs to get some more parts. All I'm lacking from finishing the project is a but of paint touch-up and some beadlocks. I'll post up some pictures when it's complete, sometime tomorrow.

A few quick thoughts on this kit:

The Bad...
While the parts are good, the fit of some still needs a bit of finagling. The 2-speed conversion requires replacing all of the guts of the tranny with those from a Vaterra Twin Hammers. The wheels that are included, aren't beadlocks. The batteries are limited to those the size that are used in the Traxxas 1/16 scale trucks.

The Good...
The drive-shafts include CV joints on both ends. The axles have a scale appearance and seem to be a bit heavier duty than the Axials. The kit includes the capability to run any of 4 chassis/wheel base lengths. The servo is chassis mounted. The lid has good detail and the chrome grill is separate and includes the hardware for LED head lights and turn signals.

The paint will surprise people...

:bag:Is it just me or reading build threads tends to make me wanna stay up late turning wrenches on my rigs!

:birthday: Oh and I see a Happy Bday is in order!

Heck yah! Soon as I get the cash, can't wait to start turning that TF2 into a beast. Think it may turn into the winter project!

:birthday: Oh and I see a Happy Bday is in order!
Thanks for the B-day wishes. And now on to the pics:

20141104_155711_zpsym8e12sr.jpg

20141104_155727_zpsmp9gi3su.jpg

20141104_155736_zpspz99sggw.jpg

20141104_155745_zpsv9foszom.jpg

20141104_155753_zpse2t9ftxk.jpg

I need to adjust the length of the left side rear links to get the rear end to track straight and get some decent beadlocks and it's ready for the trail!

It, too, is a replica of another vehicle I drove: An M1009 CUCV of the 1st Inf. 1st Brigade S-4 (Supply)- HQ-4. I need to adjust the links and get the correct beadlocks for it and it's ready to hit the trail this weekend.

Man, that looks sweet, I wanna do one in the theme of my old blazer too. Mine was maroon, w/ white top, rust on the wheel wells, I might include the smashed left rear side window, covered in tuck tape, and polythene.

It looks great Hamz, how is the performance?

Waiting on tires for the RC4WD beadlocks for its first run. It ought to be a beast though with 2s and 3500kV motor.

You betcha. I just need to run power to the controller box.

Just a quick update: I'm finishing the wiring of the lights and hope to get some pics up of the completed project shortly.

Here are some pics.

The driver-side view of completed project Big Blaze.

20141111_174125_zpsvqhovamq.jpg

The front view of Project Big Blaze.

20141111_174137_zpsr3ufzlmh.jpg

The passenger-side of Project Big Blaze.

20141111_174151_zpshxxgxo8a.jpg

Her are some pictures of the lights for @Rolex.

20141111_174252_zpspmy1w7s0.jpg

20141111_174305_zpshdrmukre.jpg

Blaze, as in large fire. Not blase like your idea of fun- waxing and polishing.

I dig the realism of these scalers, I can't imagine the time, effort, patience and money go into making these things so realistic looking. Well done. :thumbs-up:

Back