The Mad Force is running 140-155F temps but not leaving any smoke.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITEMARE

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I run the piss out of the MF and she doesn't seem to get hot.(Mind you it's like 90+ degrees here right now too.) The truck wheelies like crazy all the time so I know it's making great power.
The thing that confuses me is the fact that the truck runs so cool but doesn't really smoke at all. Certainly not enough to justify the temps. I'm not sure if I should try to mess with leaning it out more or leave it alone.
I'm running 20% O'Donnel, OS#8's and Nova RC head on stock GX.21 engine.
What do you guys think?

check your temp gun to make sure it's as accurate as you think...

where exactly are you temping it at?

tune for smoke and power. and if its running that cool, i would replace the stock head to bring temps up. anything below 180 degrees can damage your engine. also a trick for the nova heads, is to put a tube of black paper inside the head where the glow plug is. temp the plug inside the tube. this will give a more accurate reading because the nova heads tend to trick the infared temp guns.

Call me Captain Obvious, but wouldn't the paper tube catch fire?

HeartBreak said:

No captain obvious.

rbmaxxbasher said:
check your temp gun to make sure it's as accurate as you think...

where exactly are you temping it at?

The temp gun is accurate. I was using it the entire day on both my trucks and my buds trucks. My Mad force was the only one with low readings.

I was pointing the gun at the glow plug and surrounding area. All the same reading.

Last edited:
Lean that puppy out. The reason you aren't getting smoke is because it’s running so cold that the oil isn't getting hot enough to burn. Tip it to the side and see how much oil runs out of the pipe. Remember when its hot out side the air is thinner (fewer oxygen molecules) and your mil will run rich.

NITEMARE said:
The truck wheelies like crazy all the time so I know it's making great power.

because of this statement i think telling him to lean it out, is a bad idea. i belive the lack of smoke may be that its too lean

now, nitemare, was your MF the only one you were temping with a Nova head? if so thats why your readings are off. those heads make it difficult for anything but an exergen to take a reading. that is why you need to try the paper tube trick, we really need an accurate measurement. also, is there any raw fuel spitting out your pipe, or any smoke at all, and if so when? when you first hit the gas, or when its up to speed?

i have to say lean it out, its running so cold that you aren't burning any of the oil so you are getting no smoke, if there is much fuel/oil dripping from the pipe definetely ritchen it up

come on everyone knows that paper burns at 451 degrees F (the book)

NITEMARE said:
The thing that confuses me is the fact that the truck runs so cool but doesn't really smoke at all. Certainly not enough to justify the temps. ...

If you are sure of the temp and you are sure you are getting adequate lubrication, do not be concerned.

I have had and seen LOTS of engines that were tuned to the nuts, running and temp'ing perfectly, but barely smoked at all. While smoke is a GOOD thing, absence of it is not always a BAD thing.

Most of the referrences to smoke have to do with helping newbies get a grip on tuning. Ron Paris's defunct site use to say "a plume of smoke coming out of every corner," based on the assumption that a properly tuned engine will load up a little in slow-speed driving and coming out of the corner it gets burned off. But it's just simply not always the case.

It's a pretty large misconception that there HAS to have a given amount of smoke to be running correctly. My "theory" is that sometimes the conditions are just right that excess oil (the cause of the smoke) is simply not being burned in the combustion process.

There are dozens (okay, maybe 10 or 20 :D ) of other ways to make sure you're tuned correctly, so don't just rely on one, including the amount of smoke, in making your tuning assessment. Look at the overall picture, if by all other indications you're ok - don't let no-smoke bother you.

Is your temp gun is Celcius instead of Ferenhiet??

Another thng you can do is temp the side of the block just below the head, find the hottest spot there and then temp the GP. Your block readings should be 10 deg. or less than the GP readings.

CorradoPsi said:
because of this statement i think telling him to lean it out, is a bad idea. i belive the lack of smoke may be that its too lean

now, nitemare, was your MF the only one you were temping with a Nova head? if so thats why your readings are off. those heads make it difficult for anything but an exergen to take a reading. that is why you need to try the paper tube trick, we really need an accurate measurement. also, is there any raw fuel spitting out your pipe, or any smoke at all, and if so when? when you first hit the gas, or when its up to speed?

It was the only one running the Nova head. I hear what you're saying but I can grab the head anywhere, hold on to it and not burn my hand or even get warm enough to need to remove it.
There seems to be a ultra-light pume of smoke thoughout the entire powerband.

Bouzouki said:
That sure would explain it

That would mean the other trucks were running about 500F :whack:

I dont think ya have anything to worry about. You say your getting the right power and a "Ultra light pume of smoke", so I think its tuned perfect. Just kinda a weird deal, but I wouldnt worry about it.

I think I'm just gonna step up to 30% nitro since it's running so cool. That should warm it up a bit and give me more power.

I would throw the stock head back on. Thats what i had to do with my Mach. The MF wheelies like crazy to beggin with so no real indication there. Throw the stock head off, tune, then if you want put the nova back on. Remember Novas can make an engine run up to 60degrees cooler.

Back