The Dark Side: Electric MGT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triplany

RCTalk Vendor!
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know I haven't posted in a while. My poor nitro motor sucked in some sand at the beach. So rather than pick up another nitro engine I decided to make an Electric MGT.

The battery in the pic is a 2s (I will be running 4s) .

The kit I made uses the existing tranny, and gas tank holes to mount everything. If I decide to produce these only thing I may change is integrate a servo mount into the battery tray piece so there is very very little modifications needed.

During Assembly (and the prototype kit I made)
MGT-MTA4-Electric-Conversion-Kit.jpg

MGT-MTA4-Electric-Conversion-Kit-Installed.jpg

MGT-MTA4-Electric-Conversion-Kit-Installed-2.jpg

After my Quick shakedown (this is with a proper 4s 5000mah battery)
MGT-MTA4-Electric-Test-Run.jpg

Here is a very boring video of a quick shake down in the school field to make sure nothing falls off lol. (I hit a tree in my back yard with the nitro, broke my bumper so decided I needed a little more room to test this time)

I plan to get it to the track very soon and will post a better video then :)

So Far I am really happy with the conversion.

Currently geared 12/46 . I have to admit after a long time Nitro guy I am sold on these electrics. The simplicity and power is stupid (in a great way).

Arthur Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
I want one of those chassis!

When will your electric conversion be for sale?

i may be interested in this setup also

That's a good looking set up and it seems to work well

I am really happy with it so far. I need to get to the track for some real testing :)

@WoodiE I haven't made any more chassis because I really want to beat on this one to make sure it's bulletproof. with that said my plan is end of summer to get a small batch made (I have updated a few areas of the design)

The electric conversion kit is probably a similar time frame end of summer as I want to put it through it's paces. With that said I did have a second kit made (it cost me the same to make 2 as it did 1) if anyone is interested hit me up.

The production kit I will make it accommodate a larger motor (currently it supports 99% but a few guys want it to work with the huge 1717's) I am also going to integrate a servo holder into the battery tray so no cutting the existing tray will be needed. maybe alter the look a little but otherwise I am super happy with it so far. balance seems really good (but motor choice and battery have a huge effect on this)

Once I get my first production chassis and stuff in I am going to make another nitro version just so I have one of each :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking about converting one of my MGT's to electric myself this conversion looks like it would be about perfect. Trip if you would produce a nitro chassis, and the electric one I would buy both. Mgt is one of my favorite trucks that people sell to short.

Back