The Bonus Build!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out the crash wasn't my fault at all. On the advice of another club member, I picked my most durable aircraft (my sport quad) and put the radio system from the gasser in it just to rule out a radio issue since it was a brand new system.

It flew fine for a few outings, then last week less than 75ft away from me, it simply dropped out of the sky. It wasn't just a brown out or signal loss, it's as if the system unbinded itself mid air, as shutting everything down and powering it all back up doesn't fix the problem, I still have no radio control link with the aircraft. So now I have a new radio system that I have zero faith in, great.

LOL, his last name isn't harrier, or at least I don't think so.

I bought the radio system NIP off of another forum, so no receipt and no warranty. I do not have an extra RX either, but I will buy one at some point to rule out the radio itself. No more used (don't care if it's NIP) radio gear unless it's super cheap. The savings I gained by buying from a forum will be offset by having to replace my $65 RX, if I'm lucky and it's just a bad RX.

Rolex, I agree to an extent. If I never bought any used electronics, I wouldn't own a lot of the RC stuff I do, including the stuff I bought from this very forum. Overall, I've had very good luck over the years, especially from forums. Only two incidents I can remember in almost 15 years of buying online. BUT, you do take a risk when doing so.

I did a rebind last night and so far so good. But, I have a friend at the club with the same radio, so we're going to bind my radio to his RX, his radio to my RX, etc and perform a lot of range tests and see what we get. After all that, depending on what results we get, I may or may not be doing more testing with this RX moving forward.

Every thing I've ever gotten used has been through a TOTAL tear down and rebuild till it's better than New in Box.
The only thing I never buy used is the Transmitter and Rx since you can't "See" what might be wrong, you don't know how rough the Rx's rides have been or if the radio was dropped or left in the sun to bake.

Ralph, I do the same with my used rigs as well. As mentioned, the radio was still NIP (new in package), but nonetheless I'll buy radio gear from a retailer from now on. Lesson learned.

Back