Tamiya Toyota Hilux Libyan Technical Pickup

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good and that is a sweet little saw, where did you get it and who makes it?

Ok so after running the barrel flare with the drill and sanding it I was able to get a pretty uniform cone end that I could mount onto the barrel.

img_9612.jpg

Because of the design for the barrel I thought it was best for barrel pieces to be split into three parts. To increase the strength though I am drill into the main part of the machine gun and recessing the barrel into it

img_9613.jpg

After using my dremel drill press attachement (which isnt exactly the most accurate) I was happy to see that the first segment of the barrel was pretty square.

img_9614.jpg

I did the same thing with the lower gas piping. Incase you didnt realize that this is a gas cycled machine gun.

img_9615.jpg

Doing this portion reminded me how small this thing is

MAD SKILLZZZZ..........I love this thread

Guys sorry for the lack of updates but hurricane sandy messed me up good. I just got power on last night thank god. I am in NJ close to the coast so it was a bit like the stone age with people fighting for gas and crap. I had a generator but there was no cell service and no internet. Thank god I am a bit of a survival nut so no major damage.

So lets get back to assembling this gun.

Next part up is for me to create the handle assembly. I start off by measuring and gluing together two pieces of styrene to create the rough shape.

img_9616.jpg

Just to make it even edges I use the mini table saw to start really shaving it down

img_9618.jpg

Then I use the dremel to cut some guide holes to begin cutting out the center portion and create the top assembly

img_9621.jpg

Then I use a micro chisel to knock out the center piece

img_9622.jpg

And now we have the finished top assembly!

img_9623.jpg

Ok guys so the basic shaper of the main gun assembly is done. doesn't look that bad for the base shape.

img_9630.jpg

Also this is the completed handle assembly

img_9631.jpg

Excellent work! The shape is perfect.

Thanks man! Next set of pics really show it off

---------- Post added at 8:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:19 PM ----------

Ok so now I have to add the top part of the 1/10 machine gun receiver body. Once again I have to combine multiple pieces of styrene and then sand them down

img_9634.jpg

Now I go back to my plans and cut out the templates for the side groove configuration and vents

img_9635.jpg

Making sure that my plans were in 1/10 scale made it so much easier to build the physical model

img_9636_0.jpg

The I airbrushed through the template to give me the guide marks to begin chisseling out the grooves

img_9637.jpg

And here is the completed rough design of the 1/10 scale machine gun that will be mounted on the Tamiya Toyota Hilux Body

img_9638.jpg

Ha ha I like that keep on flicking!

Ok so after a long hiatus, finally I decided to just take a few days off, so we are going to finish this build by the end of the week. Been sitting on the bench too long.

So after looking where I left off I didnt like the way the channels came out on the machine gun. Because I had to cut them out of the solid styrene pieces I had put together it lost some of the sheet metal feel. So I am going to add some thene styrene plating.

So I retrace my original template

img_9641.jpg

Then use a razor to cut the channels out. This gives the cutes a more stamped metal look which is what we are looking for.

img_9642.jpg

Now we can mount them onto the gun again and really weld it on.

img_9643.jpg

This really cleaned it up and is making the machine gun look like sheet metal.. Multiple posts tomorrow!

Ok so doing a bit more sanding on those new side panels that I added to the Machine gun.

img_9651.jpg

Then I had to begin shaving down part of the Evergreen Block in the rear to begin shaping the back sight rails.

http://www.hexnutracing.com/rc-images/gallery/tamiya_toyota_hilux_libyan/img_9644.jpg?i=1731952562

Then I cleaned them up with the good old micro chisel
img_9645.jpg

Then I decided to add some rivet holes using pin vise

img_9652.jpg

Finally added the upper rear sight and I added the charging lever. NOOOWWWW it is looking like a machine gun.

img_9659.jpg

holy small drill bit batman!

Looks sick bro.

Ok so I layed a layer of primer on the machine gun so while that is drying I am going to start building the ammo box and the gun mount.

So using the trusty mini table saw I cut up the sides of the ammo box

img_9653.jpg

Then I just filed down the sides just make sure everything was even

img_9654.jpg

Now using a right angle Jig I start attaching the edges

img_9655.jpg

Ok so now I have let that thing bond up so I started building the gun mount to setting it in the jig.

img_9657.jpg

Noooowww dry you bastards dry!

So the base metallic coat of the machine gun is done, now I want to prep it so it will have the look of paint chips.

For that you use an old model technique, you use SALT!

img_9663.jpg

You paint water on some of the spots you want to apply the salt to

img_9661.jpg

Then you stick the salt to it and let it dry

img_9664.jpg

going to be a bit for that

Also I am almost done with the gun mount too

img_9665.jpg

Salt works wonders for sure.

Will it be stationary or swivel?

Most likely stationary since I want to make it detachable if not this gun would get destroyed in a heart beat. If I made it detachable and swivel I think I would have too much play in the gun mount so the machine gun would shake to much. But I am making the machine gun so that it will have minor movement elevation wise.

---------- Post added at 9:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:23 AM ----------

Now I finished up the base ammo box so that it is the right scale. This is going to be mounted beneath the gun and would normally feed the belt ammunition in to the machine gun.

img_9668.jpg

I added the rivet holes and then cut a top in to the box, I also added a very thing piece of styrene rod in the joint to hold the top open and look like the hinge. Then I am going to add a raised lip around the tio pary of the box with small styrene strips to make it look like a lid.

img_9669.jpg

After drying that kept it open

img_9672.jpg

I drilled out the bottom of the mount to prep it for the screw that will connect it to the hilux body. Remember it has to be removeable.!

img_9666.jpg

The gun mount is also completely fused together . I added the modeling compound so I could etch in welding marks later

img_9671.jpg

Ok so these are the final posts, tomorrow I post the finished product finally!

For the ammo box I wanted to give it a base of red to provide a rust look when I applied the same salt style rust and chip technique. So I gave the ammo box a base coat of hull red

img_9673.jpg

Then I painted over that with Nato green once dry and brushed the salt off. Why Nato green instead of desert colors? Well people forget most of the older equipment that man armies fight with are field painted for the desert. They do not come from the manufacturer that way, especially when you are talking soviet era surplus gear. Now they may field paint guns but disposable items like ammo cans would not be painted they would be left stock colors

img_9678.jpg

I also start using the same salt weathering technique on the machine gun mount
img_9679.jpg

Same with the machine gun mount. It is painted a base coat of nato green and red then I begin layering on different shades of desert

img_9681.jpg

Ok thats it, don't want to give all the details now because I want the reveal of the machine gun mounted on the truck to give everyone the glimpse of everything mounted. Also finished up some of the detail painting on the machine gun itself. See you tomorrow!

Back