Tamiya Terra Crusher Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane2013

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a tamiya terra crusher. The electric starter does not work. I'm pretty sure it is the original motor. I can't find a new electric starter for this so can I buy a pull start for this or would I need to get a whole new motor to make it work? Is there a way I can start it without the electric starter? I don't know much about it I've just started to get into the hobby. Thanks for the help

I have a tamiya terra crusher. The electric starter does not work. I'm pretty sure it is the original motor. I can't find a new electric starter for this so can I buy a pull start for this or would I need to get a whole new motor to make it work? Is there a way I can start it without the electric starter? I don't know much about it I've just started to get into the hobby. Thanks for the help

I don't see why not ,since it already has that type of starter set up ,then everything is already there for a starter ,oneway bearing &
starter shaft that goes in the engine to turn the crank!
All you need to do ,is find the pull rope essembly!

I don't see why not ,since it already has that type of starter set up ,then everything is already there for a starter ,oneway bearing &
starter shaft that goes in the engine to turn the crank!
All you need to do ,is find the pull rope essembly!
The guy at my local shop said I could not put a pull start on the stock motor and I would have to buy a new motor for it. I know a little about electric RC stuff but nothing about nitro so I thought he was just trying to sell me a new motor. Is there anything specific I should look for when purchasing a pull start for it?

The guy at my local shop said I could not put a pull start on the stock motor and I would have to buy a new motor for it. I know a little about electric RC stuff but nothing about nitro so I thought he was just trying to sell me a new motor. Is there anything specific I should look for when purchasing a pull start for it?

Well ,some engines are bump start ,were it has no starter shaft & one way bearing that comes out of the back of an engine ,
those engines just have a sealed back plate ,an are started off the fly wheel by a starter box.

An electric start with a tiny electric motor that is attached to the engines share the same componets with a pull rope
starter ,therefore ,you only should have to find the pull rope starter unit.
I think the Terra crusher is an old style RC ,but you should still be able to find the start that will fit ,other brand engine
starters may fit ,even a roto starter unit should fit in that engine size!
What size is it ,an 18 size?

Well ,some engines are bump start ,were it has no starter shaft & one way bearing that comes out of the back of an engine ,
those engines just have a sealed back plate ,an are started off the fly wheel by a starter box.

An electric start with a tiny electric motor that is attached to the engines share the same componets with a pull rope
starter ,therefore ,you only should have to find the pull rope starter unit.
I think the Terra crusher is an old style RC ,but you should still be able to find the start that will fit ,other brand engine
starters may fit ,even a roto starter unit should fit in that engine size!
What size is it ,an 18 size?
I have read that stock motor is TAM .18

I have read that stock motor is TAM .18

Any Tamiya small block style pull start should fit ,an also other brands may fit like Kyosho or Team associated as long
as the bolt pattern is the same ,but you would have to do your research on that!
I've seen pull rope starters on ebay just now ,but did not see any for the Tamiya ,the only ones that came up .was for
Kyosho when I punched in for Tamiya ,a Kyosho may fit ,but I'm not sure!

So you will have to find someone who knows for sure!...:cool:

This is a Tamiya starter ,but don't know the size ,its on Ebay.

upload_2017-1-28_14-27-47.png

An heres an engine with one on it ,again ,don't know the size ,however ,I did punch in for
an 18 size starter!

upload_2017-1-28_14-30-40.png

Last edited:
Any Tamiya small block style pull start should fit ,an also other brands may fit like Kyosho or Team associated as long
as the bolt pattern is the same ,but you would have to do your research on that!
I've seen pull rope starters on ebay just now ,but did not see any for the Tamiya ,the only ones that came up .was for
Kyosho when I punched in for Tamiya ,a Kyosho may fit ,but I'm not sure!

So you will have to find someone who knows for sure!...:cool:

This is a Tamiya starter ,but don't know the size ,its on Ebay.

View attachment 19089

An heres an engine with one on it ,again ,don't know the size ,however ,I did punch in for
an 18 size starter!

View attachment 19090
Is there any other way I could get it to start or anything I can do to make sure the motor isn't shot before I go spend the money on the pull start? I would hate to spend the money just to find out I need a new motor. I picked it up for cheap on Craigslist not knowing anything about it and it seems parts for this aren't easy to find so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to find the same motor.

Is there any other way I could get it to start or anything I can do to make sure the motor isn't shot before I go spend the money on the pull start? I would hate to spend the money just to find out I need a new motor. I picked it up for cheap on Craigslist not knowing anything about it and it seems parts for this aren't easy to find so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to find the same motor.

Is the electric motor froze up? Or have you taking it off yet?
I do start my Os cvr 18 with out a starter ,I use a one way bearing in a socket on a cordless drill ,but
the engine sits side ways with the back of the engine pointing on the side of the car were it easy
access!

This one ,it has nothing but the starter shaft sticking out of the motor ,but can get a better pic if you need it!

upload_2017-1-28_14-49-13.png

Is the electric motor froze up? Or have you taking it off yet?
I do start my Os cvr 18 with out a starter ,I use a one way bearing in a socket on a cordless drill ,but
the engine sits side ways with the back of the engine pointing on the side of the car were it easy
access!

This one ,it has nothing but the starter shaft sticking out of the motor ,but can get a better pic if you need it!

View attachment 19091
Well I hooked up the electric starter and stuck the glow plug in and and tried to start it but nothing would happen. The light on the electric starter would not come on and I know the battery is charged so I figured the electric starter wasn't any good. It looked like it had been sitting awhile when I got it.

Well I hooked up the electric starter and stuck the glow plug in and and tried to start it but nothing would happen. The light on the electric starter would not come on and I know the battery is charged so I figured the electric starter wasn't any good. It looked like it had been sitting awhile when I got it.

Have you tried turning the engine by hand off the flywheel?
If the engine is froze up from sitting ,then the little electric starter motor is not going to turn ,if
so ,then its going to require the engine removed an disassembled an a good cleaning!...:cool:

Have you tried turning the engine by hand off the flywheel?
If the engine is froze up from sitting ,then the little electric starter motor is not going to turn ,if
so ,then its going to require the engine removed an disassembled an a good cleaning!...:cool:
I will look into that more this week when I get a chance and let you know what I figure out

While you're just tying to get this turning, take the glow plug out if it. It will make the engine spin a lot easier because you're no longer trying to fight the compression in the engine.
Before you go buying parts and starters etc, get the engine spinning and diagnose the starting system that's in it currently. After dealing with the traxxas ez-start systems, I can tell you there really isn't so much to these systems. Typically, they are easy to repair. Unless you are trying to replace the system to save weight for racing or something, I would keep what you have in it.

While you're just tying to get this turning, take the glow plug out if it. It will make the engine spin a lot easier because you're no longer trying to fight the compression in the engine.
Before you go buying parts and starters etc, get the engine spinning and diagnose the starting system that's in it currently. After dealing with the traxxas ez-start systems, I can tell you there really isn't so much to these systems. Typically, they are easy to repair. Unless you are trying to replace the system to save weight for racing or something, I would keep what you have in it.
I think I should have some time tomorrow after work to pull it out and look into it more. Hopefully I was just making a stupid mistake or overlooked something and it's something simple. I will post some pictures of exactly what I have too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-7434...264025?hash=item3cf5c37099:g:jqQAAOSweW5VDv6M

7434004 from the TERRA CRUSHER PARTS LIST
MG2. 380 Motor
https://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/pl/43501.pdf

When searching for old parts try the OEM part number. People have stuff and dont even know what its for.
That's an electric motor. But thanks for the parts list that could come in handy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-7434...264025?hash=item3cf5c37099:g:jqQAAOSweW5VDv6M

7434004 from the TERRA CRUSHER PARTS LIST
MG2. 380 Motor
https://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/pl/43501.pdf

When searching for old parts try the OEM part number. People have stuff and dont even know what its for.
Oh I realize what it is now. That's the motor for the starter, correct?

Go over and check all the electronics with a multi meter, could just be a lose connection. If not, and it is the motor, choose whichever option is the cheapest. Pullstarts can be a pain though sometimes :D