tamiya super blackfoot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jose.28

the friendly guy
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just got this off my buddy today and he's had it for like 20 years.
He got it new and just stopped running it about 5 months ago.
(Upgraded to a stampede vxl)
So i want to kinda rebuild it but just upgrade the motor and somewhat of the "esc" it has lol.
I love the radio man it is really cool and would like to keep it but the receiver is in bad shape.
So.... can i still find a futaba fm?
And why is it so hard to find parts?

CAM00353_zps061f0d97.jpg

CAM00352_zps91888a6b.jpg

No one likes super blackfoot? Lol

That rig goes back to the eighties. I have no idea if parts are available.
Tamiya is the company that pretty much started it all with the RC cars.
First the electrics, like yours, the Grasshopper and the Frog, and later with the first GOOD nitro MT.

That's pretty cool. A guy at the track scored the same truck last week, and is going to try to do a resto as well. I can remember being a kid, and drooling over the now old Tamiya and also Associated cars. I think the original tub chassis RC10 was around the same time frame as the frog, and Blackfoot, etc.

I had 2 Grasshoppers. Yep, tub chassis. My nephew had the Frog. The only difference was independent suspension on the Frog, plus oil shocks.
I could stay with him on the road, but I was left in the dust on the lawn.
I built quite a few of the Tamiya cars and trucks for friends back then, but the absolute best was the Porsche 911 which was 4WD and 4 wheel independent suspension. I remember it was a 36 hour build and someone asked, "Is that all it took you?"

Man I've been on the man hunt to find original parts and no luck. I did find one kit for $1,100 on ebay but i dont like this truck that much lol. I love the futaba radio, though i dont think its original with this truck.
All i need is the back shock tower and the wheels and tires. I run in to the re-issue ones but they wont work. I found a body but I'm not sure if I'm down to drop $80 clams on it or just keep the old beat up look.
I figured id post this here and hope an old timer would chime in that has parts :)

I had 2 complete Grasshoppers, 2 radios, dozens of wheels, tires, shocks, resistors for the mechanical speed controls and a couple of hundred bucks of spare bearings and assorted batteries and parts.
I sold it all in '05 when I got into the Tmaxx and realized how obsolete the Tamiyas had become.
All I could get was $40.

Lol you'd be in the money now. I may get a lunch box reissue kit to build later i heard they will soon stop making them (again). I called today about the Toyota kit and they asked $700 for that think.
Oh why can't i go back in time and buy them all? why? Lol oh and invent Google

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=121178417166

CAM00360_zps46a3647f.jpg

---------- Post added at 8:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:30 PM ----------

Notice theres glitter all over it! Will acetone work of eat the plastic?

Certain types of plastic will be softened by acetone.
I'd recommend staying with Dawn dish washing detergent, A good hot rinse, then rubbing alcohol.
To make it look brand new, spray it with a 50/50 mix of Armoral and water.

Looks like he sprayed it clear and the sparkled the daylights out of it.

I can't tell from those pics, but if the glitter is stuck in a clear coat you're in for a job.
You might want to try using "Oops" which will remove most dried paints.

Oops? Are you clowning with me? Lol imma google it.

---------- Post added at 9:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:10 PM ----------

Yup it dose exists. Lol never herd of it.

Would it be a sin to sand and paint over it?

Lol super old. I like it because there's a big difference from then to now. Makes me appreciate todays trucks. Got a frog on order next it will be the clod buster

Yeah I'm gonna paint it. I just found out he sprayed adhesive and then glittered the heck out it and then ssprayed it clear. Dose that company make flat pain? I'm thinking of going camo with this and keeping the rough look on the body. ( i dont have your skills Rolex) lol. This will be ran very light. No bashing what so ever. Its lost its true value but alot of the old school guys will like it at our meets.

ALL the Parma paints are flat. They are only glossy when viewed through the Lexan bodies.
I painted one of my Grasshoppers in camo with a screen windshield and a spare on the roof. It got rave reviews till it pretty much exploded while running flat out into a recessed man hole cover.