Tamiya Paint - PS and TS matches

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzdixn

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to find as many of the matching colors/code #'s for the PS & TS spray cans...I have Lexan bodies that also have plastic parts like mirrors, wings, light housings that I wanna paint to match the Poly paint but can't figure out a lot of the matches.

Does anybody have knowledge &/or experience about which colors are matches for the 2 different types of Tamiya spray cans (PS & TS) for Lexan/Poly & Plastics.

I downloaded the 2 pages that are lists and kind of swatches, and obviously the #'s are completely different & so many of the colors are named differently...(like most things companies & people do when they start some kind of naming/labeling scheme without foresight, things get completely unorganized and messy from a logical organizational standpoint).

I'd really really appreciate any help, knowledge &/or guidance.

Thanks,
Chris

I am not sure on that, and I know looking at internet images can be misleading. But shouldn't Tamiya have all the swatches? At least they would all be coming from the same place, so that should be as close as you're going to get.

I wanted to say if I was you I would look into Parma Faskolor paints, unless you are one of those Tamiya boxart fans. If that is the case, I get it.

It's just that Tamiya seems to have the model building mentality when it comes to their paints, because they only give you enough to paint small models in their cans. You don't even get enough in a can to do most 1/10 bodies. One $5 bottle of Faskolor will do 4 or 5 bodies easily, whereas it takes at least $20 to do one body with Tamiya paints. And Faskolor has a lot better colors in my opinion.

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the reply and the info, I agree that Tamiya paints are frustrating and was gonna try the Duratrax paint a few years ago after I bought a new chassis & a few different bodies that I wasn't able to paint at the time or since, but now I'm able to finish doing that, so I'm gathering info.

I'm not partial to Tamiya paints, but some of the bodies I have that come with extra plastic pieces like side view mirrors, rear wings, light housings, etc...and I know the Tamiya TS paints work good on those, but have only tried basic colors like black & gun metal.

Do you know if the Parma paints work on those plastic pieces ?

Thanks so much for you help.

Chris

Arylic paints like the Faskolor work on any plastic. Just know that any paint you put on those parts will scrape off. I always clear them with Kylon clear or matte finish for added durability.

WF... Krylon ?...that's a blast from the past, I haven't heard that name in prob 20 years, or more...I didn't know they were still around, lol...I guess down here where I live since everything's destroyed by rust & oxidation, Rust-Oleum is king in all the stores...I'm not sure if that's a marketing pun, lol...

I realized yesterday that Faskolor's for airbrushing, not cans...
I'm not sure if I wanna get an airbrush kit, cuz after I paint the bodies I have, I'm afraid it'll become one of those things I'll never use again...:rolleyes:

Has anybody tried the Duratrax spray cans & are they any good ?
What about Spaz Stix, I've read & heard good things & not so good things ?

So is it safe to say that an acrylic used to paint a Lexan/Polycarb body, can also be used on plastic also & look just as good, with a clear coat (gloss or semi-gloss) on top of the color on the plastic gives it a bit of protection but doesn't detract from the visual uniformity of the different surfaces ?

Last edited:
Tamiya, has the best poly paint. Just my honest opinion. No drips, no errors, no strikes. Perfect game. :rolex:

Tamiya, has the best poly paint. Just my honest opinion. No drips, no errors, no strikes. Perfect game. :rolex:
I beg to differ 😜

Any time you spray a paint over different surfaces, you will have color difference, even if using the same paint. I usually give my models an undercoat that enhances whatever I am spraying over them. Like this is a bright cherry red, but sprayed over gray primer, which gives it a darker tint.
20230412_091048.jpg

Spas Stix makes great paint, but it is an oil based enamel paint. If you use it, definitely don't try to use any Tamiya paint with it, as it's a laquer based paint. And laquer and enamel are like the Hatfields and McCoys. They do not play well together.

I don't use my airbrush often, but it's not eating anything, takes up very little room, and is awesome to use when I need to. Cleanup... I run it under the sink while scrubbing with a brass wire brush. I pull the needle and wipe it down first. Easy peasy, and a game changer. It takes very little paint to do a body because there is very little overspray lost into my carpet.

This is easy to do with an airbrush
20211225_055026.jpg

I beg to differ 😜

Any time you spray a paint over different surfaces, you will have color difference, even if using the same paint. I usually give my models an undercoat that enhances whatever I am spraying over them. Like this is a bright cherry red, but sprayed over gray primer, whichgives it a darker tint.
View attachment 165837

Spas Stix makes great paint, but it is an oil based enamel paint. If you use it, definitely don't try to use any Tamiya paint with it, as it's a laquer based paint. And laquer and enamel are like the Hatfields and McCoys. They do not play well together.

I don't use my airbrush often, but it's not eating anything, takes up very little room, and is awesome to use when I need to. Cleanup... I run it under the sink while scrubbing with a brass wire brush. I pull the needle and wipe it down first. Easy peasy, and a game changer. It takes very little paint to do a body because there is very little overspray lost into my carpet.
I bought an airbrush system. Just don't know how to use it.
20210511_142656_resized.jpg
20230225_131628_resized_1.jpg

I kinda wish I could get the courage to try using my airbrush. Looks a bit too complex for me. It was easy to buy. Not that easy to use. 🥸

Mine came with like 3, things, don't even know what they're called, Barrels?, Bowls, maybe. Bowls, with different sprayers? My wife thought about getting a person to help me. I declined the offer. Kinda stinks. I paid around 350. for it. Maybe 3 yrs ago.

Last edited:
I don't know 3 cups yes. I will look.
20230520_145958_resized.jpg

20230520_145942_resized.jpg

20230520_150454_resized.jpg

Kinda complex for me.

Last edited:
It's not the best for sure. I bought it when I got sick with covid. I was in the hospital, and got bored. 🙏

Turbo, that's a pretty sweet airbrush kit you got there...I was kinda apprehensive about bein able to use an airbrush, then I watched some YouTube vids & realized it's not that bad at all...now my only concern with gettin a Ab kit is me usin it once & then havin no use for it after...

I have it and wish I could use it.Just don't get it. I would hate to start a project, just to goof it at the end. Because I don't know what I'm doing. :(

I have it and wish I could use it.Just don't get it. I would hate to start a project, just to goof it at the end. Because I don't know what I'm doing. :(
Gotcha...:p
but give yourself a little credit...
maybe just try a coupla easy practice projects & see how it goes, you never know you might surprise yourself, 😉

Watch this dude. Here is his beginners series, which will get you spraying with no fear.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLhYlK86fwlqEcoaJGqUJzRKMjPOoCete

Then, just for 💩 and 😄, watch this chit... one of the most amazing paint jobs ever.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLhYlK86fwlpUuoUbtRQyco_SQhGzNltP

The dude is just amazing.

Back