Tamiya nitro mini cooper

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minmax89

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Alright lads!

Wanted one of these for ages. Decided to get a second hand one Picked up this bad boy from flea bay:

f110158d.jpg

5498b0db.jpg

f6d43496.jpg

20c463a4.jpg

9183af38.jpg

3575453f.jpg

As it was sold as seen I can't expect anything. Currently trying to get it going but my experience is limited. Fresh batteries have gone into the radio gear and I've got that working.

The engine is a Nosram .15 that was described as "second hand but not yet fully run in" (or something like that)

Tried to get it going. Put in some fuel (only had 30% nitro - not ideal for this engine apparently but hey) new glo plug, etc. No joy though :(

I've now snapped the cord of the pull starter! Well the t-bar handle off the top anyway.

I'd like to strip the engine and seal everywhere I can. haven't got to that yet but took off cooling head and piston looks...well...

5a79a9c8.jpg

Does that look good to you?

Where do I go from here about trying to get it started?

Adam

my piston looks worse than that aslong as it has compression your good

make sure you tighten up any screws in a X pattern so up down left right

also reading the manual u would be best using a medium glow plug and i would say 20-25% nitro fuel

just some guide lines for some quick tuning for that engine

set the idle screw so there is a 1mm gap in the carb
screw the HSN all the way in then 3.5 turns out
screw the LSN all the way in then 3.5 turns out

info from the manuel

before trying to start make sure your glow plug ignitor is fully charged here is a manuel for your engine if you need it

its a google link to a PDF click on it and it will download
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yYH4BQ&usg=AFQjCNGYTbkL8QtN7ZLzHP_lDiUhRRJfDw

Get rid of that K&N filter and get one that is for nitro engines such as a Motor Saver.

Nice one lads! Great advice as usual.

I turned the engine over with the heat sink off it and there was a bit of pinch but that aint to do with compression is it? Is good compression when the Engine is hard to get past TDC? Cos I think it is...

Anyway, yes I'm going to get rid of the K&N (Which I thought looked quite cool at first) and get a proper filter. Actually, just remembered that I put a motor saver on my T-maxx but still have the old standard Traxxas one. Might that fit?

Does any one think I should strip and seal the engine before trying to get it going and tune it? It might be a good oportunity to inspect the internals?

Yeh use the old tmaxx one. And see if u have compression with the head on. Once u have the plug and fuel give it another go

Back