T-Maxx Idle issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireclav

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys hoping that someone can give me some advice here. So shamefully i let my tmaxx sit for about a year and half, and now i seem to be having some troubles getting it going again. When i first tried to start it, seemed like the engine was seized up. Eventully after trying a few times with the starter it started up. It wont idle what so ever. I took everything back to stock incase that was an issue, and no dice, have changed the glow plug twice (just incase). Anything else you can think of? Best i have got it to do was idle but very high to the point it was moving, but then after hitting the brake it shut off after maybe 2 sec.

Hey guys hoping that someone can give me some advice here. So shamefully i let my tmaxx sit for about a year and half, and now i seem to be having some troubles getting it going again. When i first tried to start it, seemed like the engine was seized up. Eventully after trying a few times with the starter it started up. It wont idle what so ever. I took everything back to stock incase that was an issue, and no dice, have changed the glow plug twice (just incase). Anything else you can think of? Best i have got it to do was idle but very high to the point it was moving, but then after hitting the brake it shut off after maybe 2 sec.

Have you cleaned the fuel tank?
When they set ,any fuel residue will clog up the internal filter in the fuel tank.
That is actually the first thing that I attack when my rc's set an not the tune,
I destroyed my first 8.0 engine due to a clogged fuel tank!

If the engine is not turning over at this point, I would take it a step further. Its likely that the fuel has done just as described and has 'gelled up' so to speak. When that happens inside the motor, it will cause exactly what you have described. This can get into all of the engine parts as well as leave a pool inside the crank case and cylinder. To be safe, you would be best off to remove the engine and pull it apart making sure to carefully clean out all of that residue. Be extra careful to get it out of the bearings. Also, be sure to clean out the carb completely. I would just replace the fuel lines, fuel filter and remove the fuel tank for a cleaning or just replace that as well... Any place where the fuel has sat and this gel has appeared needs attention. Of course, this is my opinion having not seen the truck but it sounds like the exact same thing that happened to a truck that I am working on rebuilding that also sat. It's common for old fuel to do this so I'd say that my experienced guess is correct.

so i took it out today again, got it running very good... only issue is at start it it tries to go instantly. it will only idle if you hold it up off the ground and the wheels spin very fast. when its moving it runs perfectly. just if you let it come to a stop it will shut off.

to add to that a little, the only way i can get it going is for someone to hold it off the ground when i start it, then give it some gas and set it down so it can run instantly. while running its doing perfect, runs like new, but when you hit the brake to come to a stop it shuts off every time.

I hope it works out well for you. Good luck

Sounds like there's a problem with the clutch shoes and/or springs. Pull your clutch bell and take a look.

If the wheels spin when it starts, then it could be a broken clutch spring. first check that, then glow plug, then fuel, then tuning. Pretty much anything fuel delivery related.