T-maxx 3.3 gear mesh

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregw1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I hope one of you can help me I'm stumped. So I have a 54 tooth traxxas spur gear I just bought and put on my TMAXX 3.3. I'm using the 20 tooth clutch bell which on the gear mesh charts for the tmaxx should be fine but I can't get it to mesh tight enough it feels like the engine won't move over far enough. Anyone know why the engine won't move over far enough to get a tight mesh? What can I do?

What gear pitch is the spur gear? Mod1? It doesn't matter how many teeth a gear has. If the clutchbell and the spur have the same gear pitch then they will mesh regardless of tooth count.

Hi thank you for answering me. So the spur gear has 54tooth , M0.8 , and a #1 on it. The old spur gears had 58tooth , m0.8 , #2 and the other that ran great was a 56tooth , m0.8 , #2 on it.

For some reason I can't get the engine close enough to the spur. I mean I can see they are meshing it's just to loose of a mesh and I did the trick of running a piece of paper between the gears and the paper comes out with the folds in it but barely

What gear pitch is the spur gear? Mod1? It doesn't matter how many teeth a gear has. If the clutchbell and the spur have the same gear pitch then they will mesh regardless of tooth count.
Hi thank you. So the old spurs that fit had 58tooth , m o.8 , #2 and the other had 56tooth , m 0.8 , #2
The one I have now has 54tooth , m 0.8 , #1 on it and I can't get the engine close enough to the spur gear. They mesh up but definitely not tight enough because when I use a piece of paper between the gears there's barely any ridges in the paper

I misunderstood your original issue. I'm assuming the slots where the engine mount is has no more room to slide over so you'll either has to go back to using a slightly large spur gear, buy a higher tooth count clutchbell, or dremel out the slots for the engine mounting screws a tad so you can get that extra mm or so of space you need to get a proper mesh or is something else stopping the engine mount from moving far enough?

Ya the slots definitely aren't close enough. That's a great idea I don't have a dremel tool but i have files so I'm gonna just file it out a little. Thank you very much for the help. One more question for you. How tight should the nut be on the spur? On all the savages I had I just tightened it all the way then loosened it 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn. I've had T-MAXX trucks before but way back I had the original in 2001 and the 2.5 in like 2008 so I'm not sure about some stuff on the tmaxx

I've never owned a tmaxx so I'm not sure what the manual calls for but I usually run the slipper on all my kits just like you. About 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn out. If I have issues with it on a particulr kit then I may look up the stock setting in the manual or make adjustments to it.

Back