T-Maxx 3.3 engine replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems most go with:
OFNA 26
Full big block conversion (if the mounts can be found)

I've seen a few run RB's 23's. Only one in person and the guy was a lunatic... so I don't know how it really ran. All I know is he totally wrecked his revo 10 minutes into any bash session he showed up to. His throttle control was "off" and "FULL THROTTLE!". Usually ended when he hit a tree or parked car...

Regardless, as for what people upgrade and why, depends on the rig. The later model 3.3 t-maxx's that are running revo spec axles, trans, diffs, really should hold up well as long as you have some throttle control with the drop in OFNA 28 or OS21TM. You may want to upgrade the trans internals (as you see fit) and remove reverse, but otherwise, it really should hold up with the wear items wearing out a bit earlier.

If you go off jumps and land WOT, your going to break stuff. But that is true with the 3.3 or even 2.5. The difference would be where you have teh shift point set, the gearing you run and you don't want to go WOT off the line time after time with a mid-block or big block.

The OFNA 28 is new, so you may just want to finish your season with your 3.3 if it's still runable. But if your afraid of the power it will have causing damage(will more than likely have quite a bit), get the OS21TM and call it a day.

Personally, I went with a true big block to give me more options. Then I could run a cheap 21/26/28 in it if I wanted (which I did at first), but I ended up with an LRP28 because they run so well and last so long. The power output is a bit much... so I may look around for a decent quality 21 instead, but still stick with a true big block.

UK OS engine suppliers?

I run a rb tm523 in my maxx and have done for about 4 years,its a great engine and deff has more power than a 3.3/21tm but they have been discontinued but do pop up on ebay from time to time,just make sure you get the matcing pipe and engine mount.
I act remember if I said earlier to look at the novarossi 2.5,its a great little engine,i think it has more power than the 3.3 and is a lot cheaper than the 21tm,it even comes with a matching pipe and manifold,only cons are it is a roto start and it takes turbo plugs but it comes with the starter shaft and turbo plugs last ages
I have a 21tm in a swb maxx and I have to say while it is a quality engine I was expecting a bit more from it

I did look at novarossi but again struggled to find a uk supplier

amainhobbies.com my friend,if they can ship to austraila they can certainly ship one to you.off the shelf price was 179 plus ship but with a few discounts and a store credit I had saved I managed to land it for 148

The 2.5 should be about the same as the 3.3 just wont have as much low end grunt but i figure it will have better power and response throughout the rpm range

I have the nova in my slayer pro and mate for a little engine it throws that thing around good
I have been looking for some reviews other than my own but given its a quality engine I really don't think you can go wrong

---------- Post added at 6:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:01 AM ----------

^^ and it wont snap rods like a 3.3,conrod is bushed either end

New Novarossi 2.5 engine ordered from america, just a waiting game now :\ . after ordering the engine i decided to strip down the trx to find the cause of the problem, it seemed that before the piston reached the intake port some bubbles were made in oil that was sitting on the piston so i would say its worn and it was a compression leak

Hey guys, the new engine arrived today and it looks pretty sick.:first_place: just need to go and get a gallon of fuel, some new hose and a clutch tool. just a quick question, the engine seems to be extremely tight at the top of the stroke i mean it can only be turned by putting large amounts of force onto the flywheel bolt (with turbo plug out obviously), any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
PINCH...As with any new engine, I recommend you pre-heat the new mill before starting it for the 1st starts during breakin.

I have read a couple of other threads that say you should wrap everything in foil and then put a heat gun on the head, EEEK I don't wanna burn my lovely new paint or worse any other part of the car

I hope you are going to post some pics with the new engine
if your worried about too much heat use a hair dryer

Yeh of course, many photos will be taken :) I did put a hair dryer on it and it freed up. I took the engine to my lhs to get fuel and plugs etc. when he got the engine he said the reason it was tight was because there was a washer missing behind the little piece of metal that nips the flywheel onto the crank( collet?). I have some washers in the post that will hopefully fix the problem. The old engine didn't have a wafer washer on it so I had no knowledge of this

I never put a washer behind the collet,just slid on the cone/collect ,flywheel and did up the nut
maybe your collect is a bit bigger not sure

Hopefully going down to LHS tomorrow to get ful, pipe and plugs etc. Tried to upload some re-sized photos but they were far to small to get them down to the required photo sizes. just a quick question, my spur gear is looking worse for wear, is it worth just getting a straight swap plastic spur gear, metal or one of the rrp dual plate slippers and do i want the same size. If I'm running a more powerful engine i will surely need to regear it for a higher top speed.

Hopefully going down to LHS tomorrow to get ful, pipe and plugs etc. Tried to upload some re-sized photos but they were far to small to get them down to the required photo sizes. just a quick question, my spur gear is looking worse for wear, is it worth just getting a straight swap plastic spur gear, metal or one of the rrp dual plate slippers and do i want the same size. If I'm running a more powerful engine i will surely need to regear it for a higher top speed.

There is no need for a steel spur. If you got correct gear mesh you really don't need the steel spur. Not saying there a bad thing, they do seem to wear cluch bells some what quicker though.

didn't your nova come with a pipe and manifold??

if a 3.3 was any faster than 2.5 i would shoot myself before getting it my 2.5 is freiking fast enough

Sorry that was'nt clear enough, my apologies I meant fuel pipe

Last edited:
Back