T-Maxx 3.3 engine replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aha gotcha
Personally id rather have a smaller better engine than a 3.3
I have yet to line the nova up against a 3.3 powered maxx/revo but I recon it will deff keep up

If your looking for a different slipper set for the 4908/07 trany you can go with the Hot Racing Double Up slipper & a TRX#4964 brake disk, slightly enlarge the holes in the disk so they line up with nobs on the slipper plate.
http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=62572
http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=57122

BrakeSlipper5.jpg

BrakeSlipper2.jpg

just fired up the new Nova engine in the car for the first time. (pictures hopefully attached). had just a few niggles; had to use a thinner washer between the clutch bell and the cerclip, clutch spring is loose and grabs to early and finally the exhaust mount didn't fit so i substituted for a bicycle brake cable. But other than that i really can't thank you guys enough. It's so far had quarter of a tank to gently start the break in (Byron gen 2 20%, Nova recommends 16% but i mean to start as I'm going to finish). It's just sat cooling now before i finish the rest of the break in. :first_place::first_place:

Attachments

• IMG_1241[1].jpg
    IMG_1241[1].jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1242[1].jpg
    IMG_1242[1].jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 215
looking good
I read the same thing about the fuel but then if you read somewhere in the instructions it says you can use up to 30% and there is the break in part, I think they need to translate their Italian better lol
looks like you need a new exhaust hanger,can't remember the trx part atm but its a bend and cut affair sure it only cost me bout $1.50
let us know what it goes like after you have broken it in fully

Unfortunately I'm working later today so I can continue with break in. What I can tell you is that with it running quite rich at 3/4 throttle it was quicker than the trx engine and shifted into second no problem and actually popped a small wheelie when it did:D

oh dear guys all has ended badly. I was just starting up after my third tank and something went snap. Fortunately it was not the con-rod as i feared but it was one of the teeth on the roto-start gear. The engine is still ridiculously tight and hence the tooth broke. it could be much worse though, guess I'm actually quite lucky:angry:

its funny you should say that mine did the exact same thing,think it was my fault but
I was using my drill with the torque setting on max and I think I over primed it
I got mine from amain so I emailed them and they sent me a new rotostart backplate free of charge

that sucks but like you said atleast it wasn't the new engine. just put a pullstart on it. looks good thow

I was so scared I was turning the drill over and all I could hear was clunking, thought I had snapped something :eek: regarding the pull start I had a Tanya nitro thunder that was extremely hard to start, to the point where one arm was bigger than the other and people at school thought I had been over exercising it if your catch my drift. Anyway I've ordered a new back plate which is ridiculous. There is no option just for a new gear I have to buy the full backplate for £14

I had a Tanya nitro thunder that was extremely hard to start, to the point where one arm was bigger than the other and people at school thought I had been over exercising it if your catch my drift.

That's too funny!:naughty:

$14 is better then a popped con rod.

I had a clutch spring break on me recently & it made a horrible sound the way it lodged in the clutch shoes, I thought for sure I broke something expensive.

I've wanted to go for a pull start with mine but without go and buying a bunch of pull starts and trying i'm stuck using the roto for now
I would try and email who you bought it from and explain what happened,you never know your luck

Hey guys, after mistakenly thinking that a normal rotostart backplate would fit on the back of the engine (i have never been so wrong:angry:) i have had to buy two of the correct smaller roto backplates from America. I looked into getting a pullstart for the engine but couldn't find one the correct size. ill let you know how i get on once the new backplates get here.

I belive that that backplane size is similar to some .12-.15 engines,if you have access to any maybe try them

---------- Post added at 6:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:00 AM ----------

dammit *backplate*

Evening all, I trust the nitro is burning well. New backplate arrived for the engine and now all seems well apart from it taking ages to start ( completely my fault though). I must say whoever recommended me the little novarossi engine needs a pat on the back it is amazing. I would say perfecta part from the fact it's very hard for me to get backplanes and haven't as yet found a supplier for a pull start. Hopefully I'll be able to get a video up soon once I've fully ran it in and the carb is sorted. Many thanks to all concerned I'm back to annoying the neighbours

haha good to hear
if you have any old .12 sized engines try a pull start from them
I recon power wise they aint far off a 3.3 but with awesome fuel economy

Rain has sadly spoilt my chances of getting the car out today. I thought I'd be productive and try and make my suspension a bit firmer because it bottoms out from just heavy braking. I picked up some hydraulic jack oil from my local motor store but my old man says that it will rot the hell out of all the parts in the shock, is he right?

Dont use anything other than silicone shock oil, its dirt cheap too
Generally I use 40-45 wt in most of my maxx's unless its been lightened or a swb chassis

Back