T-Maxx 2.5 transmission question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrorcfreestyle

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking for someone who can help me out with a little issue I’m having. I have the tmaxx 2.5 w/ a TRX 3.3 engine swap. But here’s where my problem is. It was running fine with the 3.3 through break in and for a few tanks of running and now it will not shift into second gear if there’s any suggestions that would be great!

@nitrorcfreestyle With the new engine broken in you may need to richen it a bit. If that doesn't work then you may need to adjust your 2-speed transmission settings.

Perfect thank you it was the tranny settings by any chance do you think it would be worth it to slap a LRP .32 in it I know that requires a lot of uprades but?

@nitrorcfreestyle if you try to install a LRP .32 engine in a T-Maxx you're going to need a big block chassis (those may or may not be harder to find these days), as well as your entire drivetrain upgraded. Even then you can pretty much expect a LRP .32 to tear the truck up.

A moderate upgrade without as much worry about tearing things up would be to go with something like a .28 engine.

This day in age, it's really not worth the effort. I had a BB maxx 15 years ago when big block parts (chassis, center rails, cvd's...) were available. It was tough keeping axles, diffs and transmissions alive. The truck just didn't do well with big block torque.

I'm guessing now you could maybe use brushless spec diffs and a later model transmission, but odds are will still need to go with full RRP steel inside.

It's a lot of money and work to try to force a 1/10th truck to handle 1/8th power. At most, I'd go with the OS21Tm. Not all that cost effective either, but after having many traxxas engines, I never had good luck or performance out of them. I have a big block revo with an LRP28 in it. Full RRP transmission, trans moved forward to fit a 1/8th bell/clutch in it. Also have a 3.3 chassis revo with an OS21TM in it. Also full RRP steel trans, but didn't move the trans and am running a dynamite max life dual shoe clutch.

I don't run nitro much these days. I have 3 and they are all built like tanks. Been primarily running brushless the past 1.5 years and I dust off my 21TM revo once in a while.