T Maxx 2.5 starting issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethhh!

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys, I'm new to the forum as well as the hobby. i have always like the whole nitro thing as a kid but never got one. just recently, i convinced my uncle to give me his maxx. i don't know too much about nitro, but am very knowledgeable about the mechanics. i got the truck and took every single piece off and cleaned everything and had it all shiny and back together in one night. went to the lhs and got fuel and turns out the starter handle thing was broken. called the store back and went to pick up a new one. i got it started a few times but it would never stay running. keep in mind the truck hadnt been run in five years. the piston was stuck. anyways. all was well. then the shifter servo decided to go haywire and start glitching. tuning was reset to default. my issue is that it wont start. its not the one way bearing. i cleaned everything multiple times. new glow plug. being new to this, i don't know if nitros must be in neutral to start or not, but my shifting servo glitches and goes back and forth. i have looked things up and can't seem to find anything about it. flywheel is free. spur clutch bell mesh well. engine just wont turn over and I'm thinking its because rhe shifting servo is crazy. any information would be greatly appreciate, thanks

yes it does have the ez start. it worked great when i was first getting fuel in the lines. then it randomly revved like to the max. wheels didn't turn but it scared me ha haa ha i dropped the remote and was freaking out. i almost threw the truck.

---------- Post added at 9:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:34 PM ----------

i don't know anything about how it was tuned or driven in the past. i took everything apart and put it back together to the default though.

Does it crank over now? Or does it do nothing when u hit the start button?

Be sure batteries are new. My throttle glitches inside works fine outside. I hope you lubed it with after run oil if it sat that long..

every battery in the truck and transmitter arre brand new. the starter battery had a fresh charge. when i click the button it will just sputter real quick. liiike its trying but it just wont turn over

tap on the electric starter motor.. when i got mine it was froze up from sitting... i would also put some after run oil in the the carb and cycle the flywheel by hand

and i re lubed everything. i took every single part apart except the differentials and the transmission because it wasn't wanting to come off and i had been working on the truck for ten hours at that point and was aggravated haha but yes, everything is lubed.

---------- Post added at 7:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:24 AM ----------

i have tried that with the flywheel. is there like a way to jump start it directly on the motor prongs..?

i tapped on the electric ez start motor with a screw driver and it came loose.
post some pictures up

oh haha i thought you meant like a jump start. alright ill get: it back out and try again

---------- Post added at 7:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:28 AM ----------

was your motor locked up inside? i can see mine spin when i try to crank it

ill try and make one here in a little bit. i turn the transmitter on. then when i turn the truck on, the shifting servo turns all the way forward and then will start buzzing and it turns one tiny click back and forth really fast. yesterday i got it to crank a few times but as thr day went on more things seemed to mess up. they're all stock servos by the way. 2055 steer and throttle and shift are both 2018.

maybe disconnect each servo at the receiver and see if it stops glitching out.... i had the same problem with my brothers traxxas 4tec and it was a worn out power switch for the receiver

actually.. the servos where plugged in differently than how they come and i wanted to start completely over so i switched them back. that may have been when it started glitching..

---------- Post added at 7:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:47 AM ----------

does it really matter which channel the servos are plugged into?

Yes It matters which channel the servo is plugged into. You can't plug the throttle servo into the steering servo and vise/versa unless you can steer with the throttle trigger and gas/brake with the steering wheel. I always get confused when I try that!

You also need to center the servos when you install them. Remove the servo horn from the throttle/brake and the servo saver for steering. Turn electronics on in truck and transmitter, Servp trims set to "0" on the transmitter, then re install the horn and saver on the servos with the wheels straight and the throotle valve on the carb where it need to be (idle gap).

thought so. i changed them to the original. 1-steering 2-throttle and 3-shifting. i tried doing that adjustment but it wont work for the shifting servo because it goes crazy. i took a video with my phone but its not letting me upload it

Best thing you can do is get a FOC for the trans. They are like. $10-$11 online. That would remove the reverse servo prob completely. Or the best way to check if its the servo, is to unplug your prob servo, plug one of the other servo's into that channel on the reciever, if it glitch's also its the reviever, if it does not glitch its the servo. I would still go FOC.:D You can also get some electonic cleaner and spray down your EZ starter motor. I had and Ez starter motor hanging on me got me some electronic cleaner with lube and sprayed the engine, freed it upand I am still using now.

could i have put the two 2018 servos in the opposite places? would that even matter? as long as they're plugged into the right channel or is that my issue?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

i unplugged that servo and plugged the throttle into it. when i turn it on it turns back and the again to where it started. seems like a normal starting adjustment. plugged the bad servo back in and it glitched again. it automatically pushes the bar all the way out and then the servo just buzzes. so.. bad servo..? probably got wet

could i have put the two 2018 servos in the opposite places? would that even matter? as long as they're plugged into the right channel or is that my issue?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

i unplugged that servo and plugged the throttle into it. when i turn it on it turns back and the again to where it started. seems like a normal starting adjustment. plugged the bad servo back in and it glitched again. it automatically pushes the bar all the way out and then the servo just buzzes. so.. bad servo..? probably got wet

Yeah the servo must be bad. That won't stop the engine from running though. I bought a used tmaxx and the shifter servo was toast. I just cut the wire off the shifter servo and then positioned the horn so it was pushing into the tranny, keeping it in forward.

Did you put to much oil inside of the motor? Pull the glow plug out and see if it cranks without the glow plug in it (ask me how i know) ;)